5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 12:33 PM by Szalam

Project files are immense but nothing in them

Arcane0

Using CC2014 and 2015   no difference

64 gigs / titan car

64 bit sys   win 7 pro  see pack 1

'velocity micro raptor z95

Intel i7-5960x cpu@3 ghz

Created a simple comp 1 main comp 6500x1104 pixels wide 10 sub comps cut it up for LED Wall

no filters

no effects

each sequence in it around 15 gigs so like 5 or 6 of those

Get like   5 or six of these in one comp comp becomes like 1.5 gigs ???? wtf

Have another comp super complicated Scene tons of plugins for the same show - comps within comps within comps in stereo - layers and layers of 35gig tiffs seqs

jpeg 2000's with alphas etc

1.3 gigs

add 2 of the above temple adds an extra .6 gigs to size of project

so proj at   1.9 gigs takes over a half hour to open

extract those 2 templates to their own file

clean file of everything that is not pertinent

file size 1.6 gigs ????

file size of other one I deleted the 2 templates from

1.7 gigs   only changed .2 gigs but the new file of just the template system of 1 main plus 10 sub comps  x 2 is 1.6 gigs ???? wtf

purged everything

makes absolutely no sense that ti should take up as much space as the complicated one with gigabytes of stuff and major plugin usage

Anybody ??

• 1. Re: Project files are immense but nothing in them
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

makes absolutely no sense

Nor does your post, I'm afraid. To be blunt, you are spitting bullet points and not providing any real info. I don't even know how one could produce a 1.something GB project file in AE except perhaps with excesssive use of the Rotobrush and Warp Stabilizer features that embed their data into the project itself. Otherwise in 15 years I haven't managed to create a project that ever exceeded 200 MB and those were stuffed to the brim with tons of comps, keyframes, expressions. Beyond that I find it impossible to ever get anywhere near the sizes you are talking about. AE projects only reference external sources and typically are a few megabytes in size. The same for your comments on comps inflating to 1.5 GB. Where does that even come from? A comp has no file size, it's just a project-internal structure element. That is of course until you render it, which is a whole different matter. I really feel that either you are not telling us something, you are misunderstanding something fundamentally or something is wrong with your system. So for what it's worth, you need to explain better and in a language that actually makes sense and includes relevant details.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Project files are immense but nothing in them
            Arcane0 Level 1

Hello Mylenium pro2.jpgpro1.jpgdir1.jpg

I have many project files over 2 gigs and they suck on opening . I am working on shows that have comps at 6000x1100 pixels

No stabilizer or warp stuff - no plugins that have caches

Its driving me crazy because it doesnt make any sense

I have one set that is just 1 seq 6000x1100 then thats put in a comp and cut up for 10 led panels . That comp is duplicated 10 x or so

no effects - just 10 or so sequences 5-7 min long .  Those comps start to grow over time if I duplicate the setup to do another kind of cut for the led panels but then

I want to speed it up so I grab one setup reduce project so only whats needed for that cut is there - resave to a new name and maybe it drops from 2gigs to 1..9  even though i got rid of 90% of the project

the other  a stereo setup 1920x1080  same thing had 9 comps one for each song // only footage soooo minimal effects in this comp like maybe 2 or 3 lightblasts  plus the stereo plugin but I use that all the time

delete all but one song with its 4-7 layers of jpeg2000 sequences ( which is supposed to be a highly optimize archival codec with a very small footprint )

resave  - barely a hundred meg difference maybe on a 2 gig file ! ! Those are the pic of one of the comps SUPER SIMPLE I extract that from a comp that had 7 identical type comps one for each music video but when I extract I the file size was almost identical (see dir pic - Luminal Eterni to Luminal Eterni Interplanatery )

the first one has 7x more stuff in it of exactly the same kind of stuff - just 1920x108 sequences

Any help would be most appreciated

-------------------------------Specs and description of whats in project

I thought i was giving alot of info here

Using CC2014 and 2015   no difference  between after effects versions

64 gigs / titan car  forgot the D   titan CARD

64 bit sys   win 7 pro   pack 1

'velocity micro raptor z95       brand of computer

Intel i7-5960x cpu@3 ghz     chip

(description of what i did )

call this template 1

Created a simple comp 1 main comp 6500x1104 pixels wide 10 sub comps cut it up for LED Wall

no filters

no effects

each sequence in it around 15 gigs so like 5 or 6 of those   - So 5   15 gig sequences at 6000x1100 each

Get like   5 or six of these in one comp comp becomes like 1.5 gigs ???? wtf

Project 1

Have another comp super complicated Scene tons of plugins for the same show - comps within comps within comps in stereo - layers and layers of 35gig tiffs seqs

jpeg 2000's with alphas etc

1.3 gigs//

add 2 of the above (temple 1) adds an extra .6 gigs to size of project   /    So template 1 which is describe above full size 1.5 gigs with 6 comps but when i add 2 to the project one it adds .6 gigs which doesnt make any sense

so proj at   1.9 gigs takes over a half hour to open

extract those 2 templates to their own file

clean file of everything that is not pertinent

file size 1.6 gigs ????

file size of other one I deleted the 2 templates from

1.7 gigs   only changed .2 gigs but the new file of just the template system of 1 main plus 10 sub comps  x 2 is 1.6 gigs ???? wtf

purged everything

makes absolutely no sense that it should take up as much space as the complicated one with gigabytes of stuff and major plugin usage

Anybody ??

• 3. Re: Project files are immense but nothing in them
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Um, you might want to consider taking a refresher course in arithmetic.  You're looking at project file sizes in megabites, not gigabites.

• 4. Re: Project files are immense but nothing in them
                Arcane0 Level 1

really hmmmm I thought millions of bytes is a gig . My project files it says right there is 2 gigs Not really sure what your talking about , so maybe you should take the class

• 5. Re: Project files are immense but nothing in them
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your file sizes do seem abnormally large for not having any rotobrush or Warp Stablizer in them.

Can you do a collect project and show us the report on what effects are being used, etc.?