2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2016 9:05 AM by dj_paige

Computer meltdown

simonm788224

I had a major malfunction a couple of weeks ago and it really buggered up Lightroom. Luckily I had everything backed up on external drives but all my files have reverted to the raw downloads somehow so I'll have to develop EVERYTHING from the outset. Referring back to old catalogs is not helping and I'm in danger of making things worse if I proceed without help. I'm toying with the idea of starting from scratch as painful as that may be. Has anyone else suffered through something similar? What was your way out of the maze? Older catalogs do not seem to be compatible with the current LR release. Is Adobe deliberately making things more difficult?

• 1. Re: Computer meltdown
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First option: Load the latest backup of your catalog that has been created by the integrated backup function of LR - this does backup the catalog, not the images.

Second option: If you did create xmp sidecar files, these are stored next to the raw images, you can reload your work on the files by telling LR to read that metadata.

Catalogs stay compatible within full releases of LR, i.e 6.0 up to 6.7, whereas a LR5 catalog needs to be updated to work with LR6.

Btw: What is the exact version of LR you are working with?

• 2. Re: Computer meltdown
            dj_paige Level 9

I'm toying with the idea of starting from scratch as painful as that may be. Has anyone else suffered through something similar?

A huge mistake. We can walk you through the proper method of fixing this. Start with the instructions given by McLion above.

Older catalogs do not seem to be compatible with the current LR release. Is Adobe deliberately making things more difficult?

Older catalog are compatible with the current LR release, so Adobe is not deliberately making things difficult.

1 person found this helpful