10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2016 5:04 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom is stripping the in camera filters on import.

geraldosilvaneto

Hello,

I'm new to Lightroom and photography, and did a photoshoot in RAW+JPEG using an in camera black and white filter. (I use a Leica V-LUX typ114)

When I export my photos to Lightroom, all the black and white images are automatically converted to colour after a few seconds and the in camera filter is lost. I now understand I should've shot in JPEG, BUT, is there a way to keep the in camera filter after the import? The filter is perfect, and I it would take me ages to try to replicate what I see in the camera using the tools in Lightroom.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 1. Re: Lightroom is stripping the in camera filters on import.
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Your camera always takes color images. Are you actually seeing the JPG images or only RAW images.

I have the same exact camera, only the Panasonic version (but still the exact same camera) and I just did a test. Set the camera to Monochrome and took some shots. I shot JPG + RAW and after import the JPG were B&W and the RAW images were color.

If you are seeing all color images then you don't have the option checked to treat JPGs next to RAW images as a separate file.

The RAW images are in color because RAW is RAW with no in camera settings applied.

• 2. Re: Lightroom is stripping the in camera filters on import.
            geraldosilvaneto Level 1

In the camera visor, I see the images with the B/W filter. When I import them to Lightroom, the filter is there for a couple of seconds, and then it's automatically converted to colour. For some photos, I can click on 'Previous' under Develop, and the photo is reverted back to B/W, but not for all photos.

Is there a way to convert all the RAW photos in the camera to JPEG? I can then export them again to Lightroom so they keep the camera filter after importing. I've looked at the camera menu but don't seem to be able to do this. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Lightroom is stripping the in camera filters on import.
              dj_paige Level 9

In the camera visor, I see the images with the B/W filter. When I import them to Lightroom, the filter is there for a couple of seconds, and then it's automatically converted to colour.

What you are seeing is the JPG preview that is embedded in the RAW file. Lightroom displays the JPG preview for a few seconds until it can render its own version of your RAW photo, which as stated above is always color. There is no way to turn this off.

Is there a way to convert all the RAW photos in the camera to JPEG?

I'm sure there is, I believe there are utility programs that can do this, but this defeats the purpose of shooting RAW, does it not?

• 4. Re: Lightroom is stripping the in camera filters on import.
                geraldosilvaneto Level 1

Thank you @ dj_paije. I didn't know about this before I shot the images, and it's a pity that Lightroom does not have a function to turn this off or allow one to select the JPG preview of the RAW file for editing.

In relation to converting the RAW to JPEG, you are correct, it does defeat the purpose - but I just want to find a way to export what I see in the camera to Lightroom...Hitting the Previous button seems to work for some photos.

• 5. Re: Lightroom is stripping the in camera filters on import.

Then you aren't seeing the JPG images in LR because you don't have the option checked to "Treat JPG images next to RAW as a separate photos".

Treat JPGs as separate files.PNG

Have you tried the B&W option at the top of the Basic section in the Develop module and then you can customize it in the HSL / Color / B&W section.

• 6. Re: Lightroom is stripping the in camera filters on import.

geraldosilvaneto wrote:

Thank you @ dj_paije. I didn't know about this before I shot the images, and it's a pity that Lightroom does not have a function to turn this off or allow one to select the JPG preview of the RAW file for editing.

In relation to converting the RAW to JPEG, you are correct, it does defeat the purpose - but I just want to find a way to export what I see in the camera to Lightroom...Hitting the Previous button seems to work for some photos.

RAW images are always RAW images. You can convert any color image to B&W with one simple click.

You either don't have that option checked, as I stated above with a screen shot, or you aren't shooting JPG + RAW.

• 7. Re: Lightroom is stripping the in camera filters on import.
                      dj_paige Level 9

If that's what you want, shoot JPG.

I don't think the Previous button is giving you what you see in the camera.

• 8. Re: Lightroom is stripping the in camera filters on import.
                        wobertc Adobe Community Professional

There are several ways to see (and edit) raw images in monochrome  (with raw quality )-

1. In Grid View- Select and press "V"

2. Develop module- Click B&W in the HSL panel. Adjust channel sliders to suit.

ScreenShot229.jpg

3. Develop module- Choose a Preset-  Lightroom has several installed.

4. In Grid View- Quick Develop Panel > Saved Preset > select from the Drop-down menu.

ScreenShot230.jpg

Finally- make your own preset from 2. or 3. (with YOUR modifications.)

Use your 'Mono' preset applied to raw images when importing.

• 9. Re: Lightroom is stripping the in camera filters on import.
                          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

geraldosilvaneto wrote:

Lightroom functions the way it does by design. Every camera maker designs its own raw format, and every company stores in-camera settings differently. The only way for Adobe to support  such a variety of raw formats is to only display what is common to all formats. Consequently, all of the in-camera settings and presets must be discarded.

• 10. Re: Lightroom is stripping the in camera filters on import.
                            dj_paige Level 9

and it's a pity that Lightroom does not have a function to turn this off or allow one to select the JPG preview of the RAW file for editing

The JPG preview is such a small resolution image that you'd be losing a huge amount of pixels to use the JPG preview. As someone said above, you can convert the RAW to B&W with a single click in Lightroom.

But Lightroom doesn't do what you want. You'd be better off using other software that does what you want, or using the tools in Lightroom.