10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2016 6:37 AM by Just Shoot Me

Importing pictures from Adobe Cloud

Nebukadnezzar Level 1

Hi,

I am relatively new to adobe using Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC since about six months, after I had to move from Aperture

Anyhow, I still seem to misunderstand the architecture behind Lightroom and the Cloud scenario behind it.

Here is my problem:

I am using an Apple iMac of which the 3TB Fusion HDD broke down recently. I do have a time Machine Backup (plus two backups of the Backup) but for some odd reason, Time Machine on the new installation does not recognise the TM Backup done before.

Having said that, I am working with Apple on that problem and this is not the subject of discussion here.

However, with regards to the pictures I felt rather comfortable, as I have all the pictures available in the Adobe Cloud with my Adobe subscription as I am using Lightroom on my iMac as well as mobile.

Now, after the HD has been changed I reinstalled Lightroom on the new drive ... being sure I would be able to access the pictures in the Adobe Cloud. Mistake on my side, I cannot import the picture from the cloud into my new Lightroom library, even worse, if I am trying to sync, the system tells me that I first have to delete the previously synced photos. See as follows:

Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 13.53.24.png

This is somewhat odd, one would expect that I can open a new library and sync it with my existing collection, right?! If I am using two computers, I would also need to access the same pictures in the cloud and would expect these to be synced with the library on the 2nd computer.

Either I am completely misunderstanding the architecture behind this concept, or I am simply not seeing a simple solution.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Sven

• 1. Re: Importing pictures from Adobe Cloud
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you have a misunderstanding about how the cloud works. Your images are stored on the computer. The images that are seen in Lightroom Mobile are images that have been shared from the master computer. They are smaller images than the originals. With images shared in the cloud it is possible to make adjustments on mobile devices or from another computer by going to Lightroom.adobe.com and signing in. Any adjustments that are made from other computers will be applied to the master images that are stored on your computer. If you have allowed downloads on  Lightroom Mobile then you can download copies of those images. But if your computer crashed and you lost the master images then you will have to delete those images from Lightroom Mobile and start over by creating collections on your main computer  and sharing them via Lightroom Mobile.

• 2. Re: Importing pictures from Adobe Cloud
            Nebukadnezzar Level 1

Hi Jim,

thank you very much for your help!

Yes, obviously you are right: I misunderstood the functioning of the cloud. But this reality check questions partially the value of the Adobe Cloud on my side. I am working for a leading cloud provider and our customers would find it an annoyance that their data is not being made available in a case of a data failure at their premise - that is if they are using a hybrid architecture which is the case within the Adobe Cloud.

During my research on solving my issue I have realised that e.g. working with two computers (mobile and desktop) is a problem for which the individual user have to find their own solution (external HDD, copying data back and forth, ...).

While Adobe has certainly great SW functionality and is the leading provider within this space, I find their cloud architecture of less than the minimum required and an not of semi-professional standard. I would be happy to pay for cloud space, if I could use that also for backing up my photos, additionally to the functionality provided. The backup I have with Apple Photos, which however, delivers no photo management and edition functionality whatsoever.

Meanwhile I found a hardly satisfying way to get at least a low quality of my pictures back via the lightroom web interface which delivers only JPG files - for somebody using extensively RAW this is quite frustrating

Thanks again and have a nice Sunday!

Cheers

Sven

• 3. Re: Importing pictures from Adobe Cloud
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

To restore your Mac from your time machine backup you have to do that without booting into OS X installed on your hard drive.

You do that from the Recovery section.

There are many tutorials on the net on booting into the recovery console (recovery partition on the drive or the recovery system from across the internet). From either recovery system you would select to restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup.

You can still do this even though OS X is already installed on the hard drive.

• 4. Re: Importing pictures from Adobe Cloud
                Nebukadnezzar Level 1

Hi,

that is very kind of you but I have done that long time ago

Me nor the Apple Support have been able to restore the TM backup - a tool which is never ever going to make it back into my backup strategy - I can no one recommend to use it, unfortunately.

Cheers

Sven

• 5. Re: Importing pictures from Adobe Cloud

Nebukadnezzar wrote:

Hi Jim,

thank you very much for your help!

Yes, obviously you are right: I misunderstood the functioning of the cloud. But this reality check questions partially the value of the Adobe Cloud on my side. I am working for a leading cloud provider and our customers would find it an annoyance that their data is not being made available in a case of a data failure at their premise - that is if they are using a hybrid architecture which is the case within the Adobe Cloud.

Thanks again and have a nice Sunday!

Cheers

Sven

The Adobe cloud system is only for syncing LR desktop with LR Mobile and the other way around.

It really is up to the user to backup their systems and most importantly their most important files.

There are many Cloud solutions available for this but I prefer to do it on my end with physical hardware, external drives and other computers that hold all my important files. Multiple copies of everything.

• 6. Re: Importing pictures from Adobe Cloud

Nebukadnezzar wrote:

Hi,

that is very kind of you but I have done that long time ago

Me nor the Apple Support have been able to restore the TM backup - a tool which is never ever going to make it back into my backup strategy - I can no one recommend to use it, unfortunately.

Cheers

Sven

When I used a Mac I used the Mac Time Machine very successfully but it was always from the Recovery console. If you hold down the r key or the Command + r keys at boot (as soon as you hit the power button) you will find this recovery console.

I also used Carbon Copy Cloner as a backup system when I used a Mac.

• 7. Re: Importing pictures from Adobe Cloud
                      Nebukadnezzar Level 1

I must have been a dozen in the recovery console over the last five days.

Besides that, I am just saying in my opinion Adobe is offering a "Cloud" solution, which is far from being one ... they are selling an absurd low level of cloud functionality - I most likely will not extend my subscription, because of their "Cloud" approach.

• 8. Re: Importing pictures from Adobe Cloud
                        Nebukadnezzar Level 1

However, can I ask you another questions. While my iMac was down I was uploading hundreds of picture on my iPad to Lightroom Mobile - now I am trying to get those pictures onto my iMac, but again Adobe seems to be a bottle neck. If I I want to copy the pictures to the iPad camera roll it let me shows only 15 pictures at a time - am I am missing here a function ?

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Importing pictures from Adobe Cloud

Nebukadnezzar wrote:

I must have been a dozen in the recovery console over the last five days.

Besides that, I am just saying in my opinion Adobe is offering a "Cloud" solution, which is far from being one ... they are selling an absurd low level of cloud functionality - I most likely will not extend my subscription, because of their "Cloud" approach.

Sorry to hear that the recovery system hasn't worked for you. But we are taking Apple and as I see it Apple products don't "Just Work". That is why I went back to Windows. A slight Rant. If Apple products "Just Worked" you wouldn't need to make an appointment at the "Genius Bar" to get them looked at and fixed.

If you like using Lightroom and Photoshop the subscription system is, in my opinion, the way to go and the only way to go for the most recent release of Photoshop.

• 10. Re: Importing pictures from Adobe Cloud

Nebukadnezzar wrote:

However, can I ask you another questions. While my iMac was down I was uploading hundreds of picture on my iPad to Lightroom Mobile - now I am trying to get those pictures onto my iMac, but again Adobe seems to be a bottle neck. If I I want to copy the pictures to the iPad camera roll it let me shows only 15 pictures at a time - am I am missing here a function ?

Thanks!

Only if you have a backup of the original catalog file and the original install of LR.

The way the sync works between LR the computer program and LR Mobile is syncing between collections in One Catalog file. The way that catalog file is identified is by a unique catalog number generated by the install of LR. Even if you were to copy the catalog file to another computer that has LR installed that same catalog would get a different ID number and would not be able to continue syncing up with LR Mobile. You could sync with LR mobile but it would wipe out the previous sync and all the images.

Your only option is to copy or move those images to the storage on the iPad outside of any sync feature. Then copy them to your Mac hard drive or external drive.