6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2016 1:37 PM by MatthewBrWn

How to easily play audio?

MatthewBrWn Level 1

I wanna make a typography video for music, but I don't wanna use method with scrubbing audio (CTRL)

Any ideas? Or can I use other programs for listening audio and just copy and paste timecode from this program to Adobe After Effects?

I tried this method into Sony Vegas Pro to Adobe After Effects, but in 15 minutes I sync ~50 words... I think it takes a long time... Have any ideas to listening audio?

P.S. If you see mistakes if my text - I'm sorry, it's not my native language

• 1. Re: How to easily play audio?
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

but I don't wanna use method with scrubbing audio (CTRL) Any ideas?

you can playback just the audio in real-time - the default shortcut is the Period key in the preview panel. I made thousands of transcripts in the last decade and found that an efficient way to work is to type LL to see your waveform, press the period key so you can hear what audio cue is related to the visual cue, and set your keyframes accordingly. you can also set markers to make it easier to know which part belongs where but I usually need to work very fast and don't have time for it. I rarely use scrubbing audio with the Cmd/Ctrl key.

more information here:

Preview without rendering in After Effects

• 2. Re: How to easily play audio?
            MatthewBrWn Level 1

Thank you, but if in song lyrics are too fast it's possible to set markers?

• 3. Re: How to easily play audio?

you can set markers at every frame if you want. I see named markers for audio as visual cues if you need to go back and forth between projects. maybe you have narration and you want to see the words visually with all the animation. if you want you can also playback the audio with the period key and press the astrix * key for every time you hear the beat you want and it will set markers for it after you are done listening. most of the time I find that the waveform gives me all the information I need and I don't even use markers for timing text. if you zoom in your timeline you can see the beat/lyrics representation in the waveform so you can see time your animation with the visual cue. and you can scrub no harm in scrubbing.

if all that I explained still causes you workflow problems maybe you should specify exactly where do you struggle to time your animation with the audio.

• 4. Re: How to easily play audio?
                MatthewBrWn Level 1

Ok, thanks. And last question, if in song beat are too loud than voice (for example Deuce - Bleed (chorus)), still I need to scrub audio?

• 5. Re: How to easily play audio?

I see. indeed a very noisy audio and you can lose orientation by just looking at the waveform. it's hard to differentiate the different sentences. in this case markers will be handy as a visual aid showing you where each sentence ends. you can name them and it will be even easier.

when I first started with Ae I would get carried away with naming all the markers for every little thing. but eventually I picked up the pace and left named markers and just moved the animation as I go by memory where everything is. scrub a little, correct it, move along.