4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 2:32 PM by johnrellis

Lightroom CC and NVIDIA 960 Issue

jisaacjr Level 1

I have an issue with images in the Develop module that I THINK has something to do with my recent updating of my NVIDIA 960 driver. Moving the cursor over an image makes it breakup into checkerboard patterns. When I turn off the use of the GPU in preferences, the issue goes away. Here's a screen capture of the problem:

graphics issue with NVIDIA 960.jpg

My desktop is an HP 750-150 running Windows 10 Anniversary. Hope the only solution is not keeping the GPU option unchecked. Here are the details from the Lightroom system info window:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.7 [ 1090788 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 10

Version: 10.0

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.4 GHz

Built-in memory: 16323.5 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16323.5 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1043.5 MB (6.3%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1302.3 MB

Memory cache size: 0.0 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 3440x1440

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 372.90

Renderer: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC and NVIDIA 960 Issue
          dj_paige Level 9

Lots of people are reporting similar problems with the newer NVIDIA cards. Make sure your driver is up to date. If that doesn't work, then turn off the GPU acceleration in Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC and NVIDIA 960 Issue
            jisaacjr Level 1

Thanks for input. Updated the 960 driver the other day. I'm seriously trying to recall if I had that issue prior to that update. So far, I think not. Yep, have turned off the GPU option in Lightroom. Should probably add that Photoshop CC (or any other graphics app I run) isn't having this problem.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC and NVIDIA 960 Issue
              Ralph von Holst

Hi. I've had this problem and solved it. Here's what I sent to NVidia support in a chat:

Hi. Thanks for the chat. Your two latest graphics drivers, 372.70 and 372.90 are causing glitches in Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom 2015 cc. Namely, in Lightroom, for example, if you are editing a jpef or tiff file in the develop module, the main image, above the “film strip” is unstable. If you move the cursor around, the image will turn into a mosaic of squares with pieces of the image jumbled up. The last driver that worked normally was 372.54 for me, but other Adobe PS and LR cc users who use NVIDIA graphics adapters are having the same problems. One user referred to the glitch as “puzzle squares.” Note that this is not due to bad video cards, bad ram, bad monitors or bad anything else. IT IS THE NEW DRIVERS! If I tell LR CC and PS CC to not use the graphics GPU by unchecking the box under the “Performance” tab, the problem clears up immediately. Lots of online sources tell the same story.  And the solution is to  rollback the driver to 368.81 [maybe 372.54, but 368.81 for sure]. I run Lightroom on two computers. I just bought the new one which has a GEForce GTX 1060 and 32 GB RAM and latest version of Windows 10 with the 372.90 driver and it has the same behavior as my old one which has a  GEForce GTX 750 Ti with 24 GB of RAM. Also running the latest version of Windows 10 and the glitches started on that one with the 372.70 driver update and 372.90 failed to resolve the glitch. So:

1. Will this problem be resolved soon?

2. If not, some in the adobe community say the problem is resolved by uninstalling the current driver and rolling back to Graphics driver 368.81. Is there a way of doing this without uninstalling the current driver?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They were clueless. Never heard of the problem, even though I had emailed them twice about it. The good news is that you can solve the problem by rolling back the driver to 368.81 and maybe 372.54, the last one that worked for me. I chose to rollback to the former just to be sure.

GeForce GTX 1060 (368.81) graphics driver:http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105037/en-us

GeForce GTX 750 Ti (368.81) graphics driver:http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105037/en-us

Importantly, according to the NVidia Tech: "You do not need to un-install the latest version. You can just perform a Clean Installation of the driver, which will remove the latest version." You can do a clean installation by chosing "Custom Installation" on the Driver installer and checking "clean installation." Worked for me. In the meantime, I'm going to stick with the 368.81 driver until "great minds" can work this out.

Cheers!

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC and NVIDIA 960 Issue
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

For future reference by others, see this Adobe help article that summarizes the workaround: Image previews and thumbnails look tiled or broken on Windows