5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2016 12:49 PM by andersborglund

phonegap without phonegap build

bonsaiko

Hello,

I saw that phonegap build is a paid service.

I'd like to know if it's possible to use phonegap without phonegap build ?

In other words, is it possible to use phonegap without having to pay ?

Like cordova

And last question: in this case what would be the difference between using cordova and using phonegap ?

Thanks for your answer.

• 1. Re: phonegap without phonegap build
          VectorP Level 4

I saw that phonegap build is a paid service.

Where did you see that?

PGB is a free service, which can be enhanced (more apps simultaneously, larger apps) by paying a monthly fee,

I'd like to know if it's possible to use phonegap without phonegap build ?

Yes, it is.

in this case what would be the difference between using cordova and using phonegap ?

Phonegap offers a CLI, which allows for additional commands and even remote build and scripting the Phonegap API

• 2. Re: phonegap without phonegap build
            bonsaiko Level 1

Thanks for your answer.

I had a look again at the pricing table and it seems that it's free for only one private app.

If you intend to have more than one private app, than you have to pay.

Anyway, if I don't use this service, I can build the app by typing something like "phonegap buid ios" so it's ok for me.

What about the window interface ?

Can I use it free too ?

And the debugguer ?

I read their site but I didn't really understand if all these things can be free.

About the difference with cordova, I'm sorry but I didn't really understand your explanations...

You say phonegap offers a CLI but I think cordova does too.

About the additional commands, you mean there are more commands for phonegap than cordova ?

The remote build you're talking about is phonegap build, right ? So if I don't use it, I won't use the remote build option, is it correct ?

What about scripting the phonegap API ? Could you please be more specific ?

I'm just trying to figure out what to choose between both.

Thanks a lot.

• 3. Re: phonegap without phonegap build
              VectorP Level 4

I had a look again at the pricing table and it seems that it's free for only one private app.

It's one private app at one time in your account. You're always free to delete it and build another app. You can delete and (re)create apps as many as you want. In that sense, you can have an unlimited number of apps, but not at the same time in your PGB 'box'.

If you want to work on many apps at the same time and you don't want to have to free space before working on another app, you'd need to pay or build locally.

More specific information at the Phonegap and PGB docs:

PhoneGap Documentation | PhoneGap Docs

PhoneGap Build | PhoneGap Docs

The API: Developer API | PhoneGap Docs

The remote build you're talking about is phonegap build, right ?

Yes and no. Remote building means that you have Phonegap installed, set up Cordova-type projects, and use the command line to 'phonegap remote build'. Locally, your assets will be collected, pre-processed, sent to PGB and apps will be returned through the CLI

True PGB would be either using the Developer API or the PGB portal website to upload sources by feeding a zip file or a Github repo. Be aware that the latter option requires differently structured assets with a config file, not a Cordova project.

• 4. Re: phonegap without phonegap build
                andersborglund Level 1

"remote build" is also true PGB. It uses the PGB API, and builds simultaneously for all platforms listed in config.xml. It doesn't pre-process anything AFAIK. It just ZIPs the assets and sends. The build is not sent back.

For remote build to work you need a config.json under .cordova with the app ID, but this is all described in the documentation.

I usually build this way.

• 5. Re: phonegap without phonegap build
                  andersborglund Level 1

If you build from the command line and you don't use remote building via PGB you can optionally use Cordova CLI directly. I've found error reporting to be more detailed via Cordova CLI, but it's essentially the same thing (PhoneGap is based on Cordova).