7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 11:56 PM by robertb2017721

Tranfer from iphone LR folder

robertb2017721

Hi there,

Since a month or two I am using LR on iPhone 6S. 

I created folders in the LR App to organize stuff.

I believe this creates copies from the originals on Iphone Camera Roll.

To create more space on iphone I then deleted the originals from the Camera Roll.

Today I decided to get LR for PC.

So I am now trying to backup my Iphone created LR folders to my PC.

And I want to do this with USB transfer as I dont like cloud services!

However the import pane on LR on my PC seems to show only my iPhone camera roll content (I think).

Is there a way to access to iphone LR folders (so those inside the app) so I can back them up?

Thx in advance for your help

• 1. Re: Tranfer from iphone LR folder
          robertb2017721 Level 1

No answere to my question yet.

I have only 5 dyas left to figure this out :-(

(I am trying the free test version of LR on my Laptop which only gives you 7 days)

I still have not found a way to transfer my LR mobile collections from iPhone to LR on my Windows laptop via USB.

Can someone please confirm that LR mobile and Lightroom on laptop (windows) only synchronize or backup when you allow Adobes cloud service to be activated?

(No USB transfer/sync/backup?)

• 2. Re: Tranfer from iphone LR folder
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you sync, LR mobile will upload the original images to your laptop. You may need to hover over the identity plate top-left to turn on sync if paused. Click the drop-down icon that appears. Once originals are on the laptop you can delete from the phone.

N.B. Once the trial finishes, sync will only work with a subscription to the Creative Cloud Photography Plan.

• 3. Re: Tranfer from iphone LR folder
              robertb2017721 Level 1

Ok, so sync is only possible with Adobes Cloud service where all my private pics are stored on a server somewhere :-(

Since I want to use a simple USB transfer method I guess Adobe is not for me :-(

Too bad, as it seems really powerful...I just find privacy even more important than powerful.

I just found out that all my private pics have been uploaded into Adobes cloud already anyway even though I choose the option to not use cloud based sync. I guess as soon as you login to LR mobile with your Adobe ID it simply starts uploading anyway :-(

not cool.

• 4. Re: Tranfer from iphone LR folder
                D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

Actually it's very cool.

Regardless of that debate you can select the share option in Lr Mobile and choose save to Camera Roll.

Then your images will be accessible via USB transfer. They will however be finalized  based on any editing you performed in the app. You would not be able to revert to the original image.

If you do not wish to have your images in the cloud then the best solution would simply be to not use the Mobile app and perform all edits privately on your computer hard drive.

Hope that helps.

• 5. Re: Tranfer from iphone LR folder
                  robertb2017721 Level 1

Thx for the answeres :-)

If I turn on "share/save to camera roll", will that copy all photos from the LR app to the camera roll?

Or will it only copy future photos I save in LR app to the camera roll?

And, will the many collections that I created in LR app be transfered to Albums in iphone photo app?

• 6. Re: Tranfer from iphone LR folder
                    D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

robertb2017721 wrote:

Thx for the answeres :-)

If I turn on "share/save to camera roll", will that copy all photos from the LR app to the camera roll?

Or will it only copy future photos I save in LR app to the camera roll?

And, will the many collections that I created in LR app be transfered to Albums in iphone photo app?

No. Its specific to each image.

No. They have nothing to do with photos app.

It really comes down to picking a system for how you want to manage your images. Photos or Lr Mobile. Either one has the ability to sync with a cloud based service but Lr Mobile has far more powerful editing (non destructive) capabilities.

====================================================

I accept that you have concerns with your images transferring to the cloud and won't put any interpretation on "private" but know that they are not automatically public. If you were to access them on a browser take a look at the address. No one is going to stumble across it.

Both Adobe and Apple have far more to risk than the leak of our pictures so I trust they have systems in place to protect their assets as I trust car manufacturers to put brakes on a car that work.

The synchronization between a mobile device and a desktop catalog is very cool, and very powerful. Not only as a means of backup to protect your images but a non destructive method of processing them too. To keep your images cloud free and single location (iPhone) based is in itself a risk but each to his own. The desktop version of Lr will give you all the processing advantages and you need not transfer via cloud based services. A little more inconvenient in my opinion.

As I said earlier - If you do not wish to have your images in the cloud then the best solution would simply be to not use the Mobile app and perform all edits privately on your computer hard drive.

• 7. Re: Tranfer from iphone LR folder
                      robertb2017721 Level 1

Ok thx.

I am copying all photos from the LR mobile App to my camera roll and then I will uninstall the App.

After that I am going to have to create new albums with Apples Photo app and reorganize 800+ photos into those albums :-(

Thx for the help though.