6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2016 11:28 AM by Just Shoot Me

Lost my catalog

pourtr8

I am using LR 5.7.1 on Windows 10. I was working on images this morning when I had a sudden power outage. When power came back on, I reopened LR but my catalog appears to be "empty". Do I have to rebuild my entire database of photos that are on my hard drives and my link to my publishing service(s)?

• 1. Re: Lost my catalog
          dj_paige Level 9

You have most likely opened a new catalog file. Go to File->Open Recent and select each catalog shown there until you find the one you want.

• 2. Re: Lost my catalog
            pourtr8 Level 1

Yeah, I did that... it is "empty". The most recent one that has data was the previous one. I guess the sudden surge of the power loss "erased" or damaged the "recent" one

• 3. Re: Lost my catalog
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Search your drive for .LRCAT.

By default LR makes a backup of the catalog file every week. Since you are using LR 5 the backup is a direct copy of the catalog file and usually stored in the a subfolder named Backups in the same folder as the regular catalog file. That is unless you changed that setting or you continually hit the Skip button.

• 4. Re: Lost my catalog
                dj_paige Level 9

Power surges don't do that. They can destroy an entire disk, but they don't target Lightroom catalogs.

Use your operating system's search feature to search for all files that have a name ending with .LRCAT

• 5. Re: Lost my catalog
                  pourtr8 Level 1

It has been less than the one week auto backup so LR never got to the point of doing a new auto back up. The current catalog that was found by File>Open Recent was "empty" like a brand new setup. When I manually opened the most recent catalog before the "current" catalog, all my pix returned, my publisher access is proper (?) and all looks normal. The issue that I had is that I am working on a pretty big job and I just lost two days worth of labor setting up new keywords, cropping and adjusting any images that I have worked on and I was hoping that there is something that I am missing. I was just wondering why a power surge "erased" my catalog data (I guess I do not have my surge protector set up correctly either... UGH!)

At this point, I am reworking my job but I notice that my preferences have changed as well. Auto advance not working on my contact sheet among my issues.

Thank you all for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

• 6. Re: Lost my catalog
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The first thing you should do is go out and buy a UPS (uninterruptible Power Supply. IE A Battery Backup device). No computer should be without one. Especially someone that does photography for a living. As they say s.h.i.t happens as you have found out.

Next thing you should do is turn on the option to "Auto write changes to XMP" in the Catalog settings of LR. This won't save all options/edits you do/make to an image but it will record all the Develop edits you do and the keywords you assigned. So even if you have to go back to an older catalog the edits you made can be redone in one simple click, read from disk option, when there is a mismatch in the metadata.

1 person found this helpful