6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2016 2:36 PM by rob day

35 Negatives scanned at 3200 will not open into InDesign properly

pattiw65809694

Adobe Tech could not solve this and said In Design only accepts images of 72ppi or so.  Anyone have an idea?  I tried to place a scanned negative of 3200 dpi (saved as TIFF)  into INDesign but it will not expand. With an Epson 600V i also tried scanning at 3200 AND  choosing "target size" 8 x 10 does not yield an image larger than the actual size of the 35 mm negative.  (I believe target size and ppi choices are two ways to achieve the same thing?)  I have no issues dropping these images into Photoshop Elements (after expanding them) and wonder why In Design will not accept? 

• 1. Re: 35 Negatives scanned at 3200 will not open into InDesign properly
          Derek Cross Level 6

"Adobe Tech could not solve this and said InDesign only accepts images of 72ppi or so". This is clearly wrong information!

Which version of InDesign and OS do you have?

Are you Placing your images in InDesign and what do you mean by "expand"?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 35 Negatives scanned at 3200 will not open into InDesign properly
            pattiw65809694 Level 1

I mean that the  images can not be clicked on or dragged to expand to a full size ( as per the common tutorial two methods)  I think i am finding a workaround now which includes choosing transform(double click) and then choosing to Scale it to a larger size.  i also needed to switch to display performance and have had some success using Object in menu and using Fittings to choose scaling to content, etc.   Not sure if i am distorting images at this point in time, but think i can probably sort that out.  There may be an easier way to rescale these images.

• 3. Re: 35 Negatives scanned at 3200 will not open into InDesign properly
              pattiw65809694 Level 1

oh, i am trying InDesign 2015 and trying to sort out if it is better to make a custom book in this software vs. photoshop elements which seems limited to a legal size spread.

• 5. Re: 35 Negatives scanned at 3200 will not open into InDesign properly
                Derek Cross Level 6

It's better to make a book with InDesign, that's what it's designed for. You optimise your images in Photoshop, or a similar photo editing application, place them in InDesign and add your text. But it's a professional program with a steep learning curve. If you want to produce (say) a few copies of a photo book for friends and family it might be better to use PS Elements and a photo bureau like Blurb or Photobox.

By the way there are several ways of Placing an image in InDesign. Have a look at Object > Fitting.

If you're going to continue with InDesign take a course such as the online videos from Lynda.com or books like Classroom in a Book and InDesign QuickStart Guide.

And, of course, ask specific questions on this friendly forum!

• 6. Re: 35 Negatives scanned at 3200 will not open into InDesign properly
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

choosing "target size" 8 x 10 does not yield an image larger than the actual size of the 35 mm negative.

It sounds like your scanner software is saving the negative scan's output as its physical dimensions at 3200ppi, which is typical.

By default when you place an image on an InDesign page it places at 100% of its output (print) size. So if I set my rulers to millimeters you can see the initial placement of this 35mm scan is roughly 24x35 mm. Its scale is 100% and both its Actual resolution and Effective Resolution (the scaled resolution) is 3200ppi:

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 5.03.26 PM.png

If I change my rulers to inches and scale the scan up to 7.3"x11" or 777%, you can see the Actual Resolution is still 3200ppi, but the Effective Resolution is the scaled 412ppi (the pixels are now 777% larger). The 412ppi output resolution is still plenty of resolution for book printing, so there's no need to use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to do the same scaling in advance. You just have to pay attention to the effective resolution in the Links or Info panels as you scale high res film scans.

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 5.18.47 PM.png