4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2016 6:30 AM by Test Screen Name

Track changes using Search and Replace

ElizabethRauschkolb

I'm using Acrobat DC.  When performing a search and replace function, is it possible to track the change? Thanks

• 1. Re: Track changes using Search and Replace
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No. You can run the Compare Documents command on the old and new versions,

but there's no Track Changes feature like in Word (because Acrobat is not a

word processing application and PDF files were not meant to be edited in

such a way, really).

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 3:52 AM, elizabethrauschkolb <

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Track changes using Search and Replace
            ElizabethRauschkolb Level 1

Thanks for your response.  I wish I didn't have to use Acrobat for editing, but that seems to be the standard in the copy editing world.  I don't supposed you happen to know of a way to perfectly convert PDF to Word, or another work-around?

• 3. Re: Track changes using Search and Replace
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If that's the standard in the copy-editing world then the people in that world don't know what they're doing, I'm afraid.

You must never edit a PDF directly, unless it's the only possible option. You should always go back to the original file format, edit it, and then generate a new PDF from it. Doing it directly in the PDF is asking for problems. Even changing a single letter can cause serious issues with the layout of the file.

You can convert PDF to Word using Acrobat, but it will never be perfect. The two formats are quite different from each other.

The quality of the result will depend on how the file was originally created. The more compliant it is to the PDF standard the better the result will be. The general rule "Garbage In, Garbage Out" applies here. If the PDF file is a mess, so will the results of exporting it to another format will be.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Track changes using Search and Replace
                Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

I agree. In copy editing PDF is a disaster. PDF is great for getting people to mark up their copy changes, but then you change the ORIGINAL even to fix a single letter or comma. The key here is to have and to manage the original, just as if your corrections were coming to you in an envelope with a bunch of post-its.