3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2016 3:47 PM by JRiz

Intermittent Errors LR 5.7 Develop Module Getting Worse

JRiz

This is in response to help from JohnEllis re: issue initiated yesterday on topic above.  I cannot find a "reply" option in original answer to my post re: numerous develop module errors in LR 5.7.  Sorry.  (Is there a reply option I'm not seeing?)

I tried to take all the advice provided by John.

Results:

Memory DX test - OK

Disk DX test - OK

Reset all preferences:

Followed instructions all the way.  Renamed preference.agprefs subfolder to ".old" and restarted LR.  It said it was goiing to create a new catalogue.  That's when I balked.  I get very nervous messing with the LR catalogue.  Have had trouble before and do not feel competent enough with this system to allow this with any level of comfort.  Too much at stake.  So I canceled the operation, renamed the old preference.agprefs back to current and finished.

I wanted to thank you for your considerate advice.  If you think I should allow a new catalogue to be created, i.e., no danger of losing access to almost 2,000 photo's, some of which mean $$ to me, then I will proceed.  But right now, not confident enough in my understanding and abilities.

• 1. Re: Intermittent Errors LR 5.7 Develop Module Getting Worse
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

The Reply button is in the lower-right corner of each post:

If you don't see it, then you probably need to sign back in to the forum with your Adobe ID:

Let's continue the discussion in this thread, not the original.

• 2. Re: Intermittent Errors LR 5.7 Develop Module Getting Worse
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

After renaming your preferences file, you should open your existing catalog, rather than create a new one.  See the section After the Preferences have been reset in the article about resetting preferences. It's more likely than not that resetting preferences won't help, but it's worth a try.

• 3. Re: Intermittent Errors LR 5.7 Develop Module Getting Worse
              JRiz Level 1

Thanks johnrellis.  You were right.  I needed to sign in in order to get a REPLY option.

When I tried the original instructions for reset of pref's you directed me to I was instructed to restart LR after I renamed pref file.  LR then first asked for my region (U.S.).  Next a dialogue box appeared indicating a catalogue would be created next.  That's when I stopped the process and recovered orig'l pref file.  I saw nothing that gave me an option to direct it to use the existing catalogue.

I admittedly am spooked by catalogue fiddling.  The lack of help from Adobe for LR issues motivates me to exercise a great deal of caution where the catalogue is involved.  It may be simple for someone with a thorough understanding of the interrelationships of LR files, someone like you, I would venture.  But I am not there.

I will take a look again at resetting preferences, but cannot for a few more days now.  Other business calls.

Thanks again for your generous consideration.