4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 11:57 AM by spartancabbas

Layer text rendering bug with Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra)

spartancabbas

Hello,

I seem to have run into a text rendering bug. When I try to rename a comp or layer, the text field no long behaves normally, and instead the text is misaligned and almost impossible to read. Here are some screenshots to better describe the problem. I have reset my workspace, reset AE, and trashed the preferences with no change. Running AE 13.8.1.

1. A layer is selected.

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 11.04.52 AM.png

2. When I press enter to rename the layer, all the text disappears.

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 11.04.58 AM.png

3. Typing into the text field. Here you can see the "misalignment" issue. The text is barely readable and shifted up.

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 11.05.04 AM.png

4. Pressing enter to confirm the change.

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 11.05.06 AM.png

Does anyone know what's going on here? Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Layer text rendering bug with Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra)
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MacOS Sierra is not a supported operating system for After Effects yet. There are a few, weird little issues like that. This thread has some discussion on the matter and some workarounds.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Layer text rendering bug with Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra)
            spartancabbas Level 1

Thank you, Szalam. That's unfortunate, it didn't cross my mind to double check compatibility before updating mac OS this morning. I appreciate the link and info.

Cheers.

• 3. Re: Layer text rendering bug with Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra)
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a known bug that can be fixed by modifying your procedure. When you press enter you are throwing a carriage return into the renaming which adds a line and fouls things up. You can solve the problem by pressing Enter then Delete then renaming your file. If the layer name is already fouled up then you can also solve the problem by selecting the layer, pressing Enter then Delete (if you have repeatedly tried to rename the layer or the property then you may have to press the delete key more than once) and then rename the layer.

If the layer or property you are renaming has an expression tied to it then the carriage return will be added to the expression and it will also break. If undo (Ctrl/Cmnd + z) doesn't fix the expression you will have to go into the Expression Editor and manually remove the carriage return line feed.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Layer text rendering bug with Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra)
                spartancabbas Level 1

Thank you for your response and solution for a workaround, Rick. I appreciate your help.

Sadly I have also discovered that I cannot preview in real time even the most basic animations anymore on my mac running Sierra. This is unacceptable for my workflow / deliverables so I've temporarily switched over to Windows 10 / PC. I hope we can look forward to a hotfix or update soon.

Anyway, I digress. Thanks again.