4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2017 9:29 AM by oksamurai

Limiting the movement of a Pupil

Abandoman

Hi there,

I'm new to this and am making my first character.

With the character, I've a pupil that is regularly hiding behind a lowered eyelid.  I've included a screen grab just below.

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 22.33.44.png

I'm keen to limit the pupils' behaviour so that they stay a bit below the eyelid.

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to do this. 

I've included a screen grab of my pupil settings below.  I'm not sure what the dotted lines on either side of the pupil do, I'm not sure if they could help.

Many thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 22.34.05.png

• 1. Re: Limiting the movement of a Pupil
          oksamurai Employee Moderator

Nice broccoli!

So the dotted lines mean "pupil range" - meaning the bounds of where a pupil can move inside. Usually, if you name something Left Eyeball or Right Eyeball and it's in your eye group, that will get auto-tagged as this range (because you don't usually want the pupil to leave the eyeball).

For your case, I would suggest making a bottom half-circle, essentially the white below the lids, and calling that Left Eyeball or Right Eyeball (or tagging it with the dotted lines). Then the pupil should stay within there. You can fine tune the amount the pupils move with Face > Eye Gaze Strength (or arm mouse input instead to move them with mouse drags).

• 2. Re: Limiting the movement of a Pupil
            Samppowers

Hey!

I'm having a similar problem, keeping a large pupil within the bounds of the eyeball.

Ideally, I'd like the pupil to crop to the shape of the eyeball when it reaches the edges.

Currently trying to manipulate the R and L pupil range to accomplish this, but cant figure out how to grab and manipulate those handles.

But if I do figure that out, it's simply a range right? It doesn't crop the pupil when it gets to the edge?

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.33.43 AM.png

• 3. Re: Limiting the movement of a Pupil
              Samppowers Level 1

Alright, here's my work around:

Added an upper and lower eyelid layer just above my pupil layers.Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.47.56 AM.png

• 4. Re: Limiting the movement of a Pupil
                oksamurai Employee Moderator

Glad you figured it out. Pupil range is just one of those things where every character is going to be a little different, so I just play around with the artwork, tagging, and eye gaze settings until finding something that works.