2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2016 3:00 PM by johnrellis

Color's washed out after windows update

emilyc83400207

Hi,

I have had a quick search but am finding the interface of the forum a bit challenging to search from, so sorry in advanced if this is a double up.

Recently I noticed that images opened in both photoshop and lightroom were washed out (blue tint, like if you have the color space set incorrectly).  However when I opened the image in windows photo viewer the image looked perfect.

All images are set to sRGB in all respects.  When I open the images from photoshop from another machine they are also fine, and I have compared the config including color-spaces of both machines... no differences at all..  It's just this one pc that has the issue, and on this pc the issue only occurs in photoshop and lightroom - unfortunately the PC in question is my editing pc.

This problem was completely resolved by rolling back the windows 10 anniversary update - no other changes at all, i would not have believed this if I had not seen it with my own eyes.  So i am fine for now, but this obviously is not ideal.

Has anyone else had this problem?  And if so, were you able to correct it without uninstalling the windows 10 anniversary update?

In case it is relevant, here are the specs:

i5-6600k using onchip graphics

32 GB Ram

intel 525 ssd (OS)

intel 730 ssd (adobe install)

Sandisk ultra ssd (work space, where the images are edited)

Dell UP2716D, calibrated with the dell software and associated hardware, with the right color profile set.

• 1. Re: Color's washed out after windows update
          emilyc83400207 Level 1

When i posted this it popped up with a very helpful search option where i found a lot of people had issue with the monitor profile being replaced.  So I will re-apply the update and re-calibrate, just in case.

But, what I don't understand is how can the images look fine on the same monitor using windows photo viewer, but look rubbish in lightroom and photoshop?

• 2. Re: Color's washed out after windows update
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
            But, what I don't understand is how can the images look fine on the same monitor using windows photo viewer, but look rubbish in lightroom and photoshop?

Lightroom and Photoshop are color-managed, meaning they use the color profiles embedded in images and the color profile associated with a calibrated display to faithfully display accurate colors. So if the display color profile has been removed or corrupted, they won't be able to display correct colors.  The Windows Photo app, on the other hand, is not color managed, so it doesn't matter what color profile is associated with the display, since it won't use it.