2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2016 1:28 PM by jpd0123

Import from Another Catalog returns "Unknown error" - 100% reproducible, on LR 4.3

jpd0123

I'm trying to transfer a catalog I made on my Mac laptop (same Lightroom version, 4.3, installed this June 2016) to my primary desktop Lightroom catalog.

Here's what I did:

Copy photos (1000+) from Mac to my PC

Copy the Lightroom 4 catalog file (.lrcat) from Mac to the PC

On PC, File > Import from another Catalog... > specify the mac catalog file that is on my PC harddrive

A progress bar appears and it processes the catalog and displays the Import Catalog dialog showing my photos/folders

New Photos (739): File Handling: Add new photos to catalog without moving

Changed Existing Photos (0)

Warning: "Lightroom could not import this catalog because of an unknown error."  Button: Okay.

I click Okay and then am back to square one - no photos were imported.

Does anyone know how to fix this? It sounds like this bug has been around a long time (6 years??). These threads were similar:

Lightroom could not import this catalog because of an unknown error.

Can't Import Catalog - Unknown Error

But the first one was never resolved, and the 2nd one was but it doesn't sound like the solution applies anymore (it was for an older version of Lightroom) - that guy fixed it by specifying to import the catalog to a subfolder within his F:  drive. But the Import from Catalog dialog doesn't have an option to specify destination folder.

• 1. Re: Import from Another Catalog returns "Unknown error" - 100% reproducible, on LR 4.3
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well you have the catalog from the Mac now on the PC but the Mac Catalog does not know where the image files are....

Try opening the Mac catalog on the PC and reconnecting the folders to where they are now on the PC..... then try import from catalog.

Personally I keep everything on external drives to eliminate this and have access on any computer.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Import from Another Catalog returns "Unknown error" - 100% reproducible, on LR 4.3
            jpd0123 Level 1

Well, I also tried moving the photo files to the path that the Catalog expected them to be at (I tried to mirror the Mac directory structure on my PC). The Catalog expected the photos at something like \Users\myusername\... so I moved the photos to a directory structure matching that path in my C:\ drive and put the lrcat file at the root of C:\. That didn't help though.

I also then imported all the photos to Lightroom (not importing via the catalog), and then attempted to import from catalog. It seems to recognize now that I have some of the photos already in my catalog, but it isn't importing any of the catalog data (starred photos, photo edits, etc) - which is the whole point of Import Catalog - and is still returning the "Unknown Error".