5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 8:28 AM by JustyR

Import XML into linked text threads with differing layout on spread

JustyR Level 1

Hi,

I've plunged myself into the world of XML, to attempt to make working on quarterly biog books a bit less taxing. Previously, I'd use Tagged Text with CSV data as a sort of data merge. But I'd then have to catch all the erroneous characters, and manually input a headshot for each person.

As entries are added and deleted, all the text frames are linked. So the headshot is anchored inside a text frame, which links to another text frame with Name, Company, Bio, e-mail, etc. Then links to the next text frame for the next headshot, biog info, etc. etc.

However, that's the left-hand spread. The right-hand spread mirrors the layout of the left. So the headshot is now over to the right.

|  [ pic ] Name, company...            |         Name, company...         [ pic ]  |

|  [ pic ] Name, company...            |         Name, company...         [ pic ]  |

The important thing is, all the boxes are threaded so any additions, deletions, order changes, don't take forever or muck up the flow of the document.

I've been reading A Designer's Guide to Adobe InDesign and XML, and can get an XML import to clone and repeat, say, the left-hand page layout, perfectly. But I can't figure out how to then make the data flow into the right-hand side with the different layout.

Can this be done easily?

Otherwise, my thoughts are to:

Use floating frames for the whole spread - but then nothing is linked or auto-flowed.

Or,

Find a way to have a different order of elements for every five rows with the CSV data. Which then mimics the spread within the XML.

Eagerly awaiting anyone's help.

Justy