11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2016 4:14 PM by wobertc

Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.

pat agonia Level 1

Most of the images in my Lr catalogue are not showing in Lr / Book module now.

Whilst in the Book module, for some reason all of the 160 images I loaded into the Lr Catalogue for this Blurb Book can no longer be seen, they were there yesterday!

The Filters button tells me there are no filters set.

The only images are those which have been used in yesterday’s layout plus a few duplicates.

I have reloaded the missing images, File / Import / copy but they simply start another Blurb Book with one image per page and in the process simply overwriting the previous Book layout to date.

What am I missing? I’ve closed it all down, reloaded from the Lr catalogue but the result is the same, 60-ish pictures, less than half that in the original Lr catalogue.

Thanks

Tim

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 12.01.28.png

• 1. Re: Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you created a saved book in the Collections panel? If so right-click and choose “Set as Target Collection”

Then select all the missing photos and press b key to add them to the book collection.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.
            pat agonia Level 1

Blooming' genius.

Thank you so very much Sir.

EDIT:

It does import but overrides the Book layout.

This is what the folder looks like once I go back to it - they have been imported so they can't be re-imported - so I am back to square one again, with only the 60-ish images available. See original uploaded image above.

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 15.32.06.png

• 3. Re: Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.

You don’t need to import again. Simply go to the folder(s) select the images using Ctrl+Click (Cmd+Click) and press the B key to add to target collection.

You would then need to drag images from the filmstrip into the layout or use the auto-flow button to start over and add all filmstrip images.

• 4. Re: Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.
                pat agonia Level 1

I do not understand what you mean when you say that I go to the folder and select the images.

If in Lr I go to the folder, this has to be done in .... what manner if not Import?

In Import I then have a Source (Nic 2 now contains *** the images I re require) and a Destination, the Lr Catalogue set up for this Book. Is that where I should be?

I have choices, Copy (as seen highlighted here), Move and Add.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 16.44.07.png

• 5. Re: Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.

It’s a personal choice. You can import duplicates from a new folder using Add or from a card using Copy. Personally if the images are already in the in the catalog I avoid duplicates. I would go to the folder or the Catalog tab and choose “All Photographs” and then select the photos for the book.

• 6. Re: Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.
                    pat agonia Level 1

This is not working.

This is the Book Module.

There is a default setting which I seem not to be able to turn off - Auto Layout, one image per page. this I can't seem to disable.

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 17.07.52.png

In Book Module, I then go to Import Images.

Maybe here is the issue - I get just the one location to receive these images if I opt for the "Add" (see below) to My Catalogue, and that is NOT where the Book Catalogue is held.

If I opt for the "Copy" I can point the images to be loaded to where the Lr Catalogue is to be found. these "new" imports simply override the Book layout and here we are again, back where I started.

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 17.07.14.png

• 7. Re: Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.

Try this. You have 2 book collections. To add to the 67 already in Nic choose the collection named Book Nic 2. Highlight each photo you wish to add to the 67 and press the B key. Re-select the collection Nic and each photo already used will have a number on top of it in the film strip. Choose to add a page and drag a new photo on to it. You can set page layouts individually by highlighting in yellow and choosing from the templates. Repeat for each unused photo.

• 8. Re: Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.
                        pat agonia Level 1

Okay.

I did all that, went as you say to the Nic2 collection.

Highlighted every image in the filmstrip and pressed B.

Briefly I was told they were added (?) to Nic+

There does't seem to be any more images loaded, sadly, still 67.

I opened up a new page, added three images - total now of 6 for this one image I'm told in the filmstrip below.

Confusing or what?!

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 18.01.07.png

• 9. Re: Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.

Hmmm. With the photos selected (highlighted) in Book nic 2 go to Library >> Catalog >> All Photographs

Whilst they are still selected press B

Now go back to Book and choose Nic – do you now see more than 67?

The total of six means you have used the same image six times. Three times on the last page and perhaps, on another page. You can drag and drop other images to replace.

• 10. Re: Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.
                            pat agonia Level 1

Okay.

Finally.

I went to : Lightroom 4- Saving and Re-Editing Book Designs - YouTube.. At about 1:00,

This talked about being in the correct place whilst working on a saved or new Book.

This I then followed to the letter, not much of the video, just the bit about what to do initially in Library Mode - and then acted upon what you said about the highlighting of all these 600+ images and pressed "B".

Guess what, my saved book now has over 600 images in the bottom filmstrip!

Thank you so much for persevering with me!

Cheers

Tim

• 11. Re: Book Module is not showing all my Cat' images today. Refuses to add any too.
                              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Coming late to add to this discussion- I had similar learning hassles with Book module, and can summarize what I think is a good procedure for understanding Book module-

1. Start a new Book by creating a ‘Standard’ Collection of chosen images. Select all the images in this collection.
                              2. Goto the Book Module (Top-right Module  Menu)
                              3. Set Book Preferences from the top menu- “Book > Book Preferences”
                              4. In Book Preferences- Set “Zoom to Fit”- on.  (Can always ‘Zoom to Fill’ later if wanted)
                              5. In Book Preferences- Turn off “Start new books by autofilling”
                              6. Create a “Saved Book”  by- CTRL+S, or Click the Tab [Create Saved Book], or from the [Book] Menu.
                              7. Name your Book design as you want it to appear in the Collection Panel.
                              8. In the [Auto Layout] Panel click the Drop-down menu for [Preset:]
                              9. Edit your preferred “Auto Layout Preset”  (One Photo per Page,…. Etc) Save this preset.
                              10. Make your book design from the images on the film strip- ‘Manually’ by adding pages and images one-by-one, OR- press [Auto Layout] in the Auto Layout Panel.
                              11. Exit the Book Module, back to Library Grid view.
                              12. DELETE the ‘Standard’ Collection used to start the new book- you will never use this again!
                              13. *ALWAYS RE-OPEN YOUR BOOK design by clicking the WHITE ARROW at the end of the “BOOK Collection” in the Collections panel. (It is shown with an icon that looks like a Book!)
                              14. To Add more photos to your Book- Exit the Book Module to the Library Grid view, Select one or more photos, and drag them onto the “BOOK Collection” in the Collections Panel. Re-open the book as in 13.
                              15. Add your photos to “New” pages in your book by dragging them from the Film-strip onto a page.
                              16. NEVER click on [Auto Layout] or [Clear Layout] again, unless you want to start afresh.
                              17. When ever returning to edit a book - do it as in step 13.