1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 4, 2016 9:14 AM by dj_paige

More Star Ratings

nespin

I need additional star rating capability (or at least I can't figure out how to make this work).

Each time I upload images I do an initial star-rating from zero to two stars. Then at some point I may re-edit the ratings using the remaining stars. This gives me a general structure of my library.

When I need photos for a particular purpose/project I create a collection and move images into that collection. Then I need to do a new edit of those photos for that purpose. However, I can't use the original ratings, because then I destroy the original rating structure. This gets more complicated when I use some of the same images again for another project - another collection - etc.

Please don't suggest using the color ratings - I've tried that, but I can't stand trying to do an edit with that carnival of colors around my images. It is too distracting.

The only way I've succeeded in accomplishing this is to create virtual copies of the images before I put them into a collection, then using the virtual copy to do the rating for that project. However, this is very time consuming, wastes space, and makes synchronizing changes made to the copies virtually (sorry) impossible.

What I'd really like to have is the option to have a separate/additional rating structure for photos in a collection in addition to the one in the general library - and separate for each collection if the photo exists in multiple collections. . 

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: More Star Ratings
          dj_paige Level 9

There's no structure in LR to allow a photo to have one set of metadata in Collection 1 and another set of metadata in Collection 2; other than virtual copies, which you have ruled out for very good reasons.

I suppose you could (this is a rather awkward workaround) to set up your collections as collection sets and then in each collection set have a collection named 1-Star, 2-Star, 3-Star etc., or do the equivalent with keywords

Otherwise, you might submit a formal feature request to Adobe for this capability.