6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2016 7:51 PM by Rick Gerard

Legacy Tracker - Because 3D Camera Tracker Lacks Options

IkonikFilms Level 1

I'm upset at this point because I can't track objects in a scene without having to use the obnoxiously lacking 3D Camera Tracker (awesome for some things). I simply want to track a point in a static scene to blur it out. But apparently this isn't possible with the fancy new 3D Camera Tracker.

Talk about a step back? And what was adobe supports answer "Use the old version" - but WHY? I don't subscribe to Cloud to have to downgrade.

Seriously.

• 1. Re: Legacy Tracker - Because 3D Camera Tracker Lacks Options
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

What?  Huh?  This is what upsets you?  Reeealllly?  You're angry because you have to use an older feature?   One that actually does the job?  Well, Excuuuuse Me!

Does this also mean that you reject the hammer because the basic design dates from prehistoric times?

Do you not drink milk because cows have been around for millions of years?
          Do you think antique automobiles are a waste of time because they're too old?

I've hear a lot of lame-*** reasons for getting upset, but this one takes the cake.

Get a grip, pal.  Suck it up and use what works.

• 2. Re: Legacy Tracker - Because 3D Camera Tracker Lacks Options
            IkonikFilms Level 1

Yes, my time is important, clearly you haven't put enough emphasis on your own - answering a serious question with a dumpster fire.

And if you read my discussion, I want the old feature in the new version.

Kind of like how tires are on a Tesla.

But I guess according to you, thats too much to ask for.

Waste your time somewhere else.

• 3. Re: Legacy Tracker - Because 3D Camera Tracker Lacks Options
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The 3d camera tracker and the point tracker do two different tasks (and both are available in the latest release of After Effects).

In fact, there are four options for tracking!

Point Tracker, Planar Tracker (Mocha), Mask Tracker, and the Camera tracker. They all do different tasks in different ways. If someone said you need to use an older version of AE, they're wrong. You just use the right tool in AE.

• 4. Re: Legacy Tracker - Because 3D Camera Tracker Lacks Options
                IkonikFilms Level 1

@Szalam Thank you for your response!

I'll take a look. I called Adobe support and they told me to install CS6 to use the older tool. Which actually didn't help.

• 5. Re: Legacy Tracker - Because 3D Camera Tracker Lacks Options
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

IkonikFilms wrote:

I called Adobe support and they told me to install CS6 to use the older tool. Which actually didn't help.

That's ridiculous. If I worked for Adobe, I would want the info about your interaction so I could offer some education for that support guy! And I certainly understand your frustration if somebody told you you needed to use an older version for something like this! In your case, the point tracker and planar tracker might work, but the mask tracker is probably your fastest solution.

• 6. Re: Legacy Tracker - Because 3D Camera Tracker Lacks Options
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The precise tracking options are:

Motion Track with position scale and rotation options.

Stabilize Motion with position scale and rotation options

Corner Pin Track - Takes some getting used to and requires that your source layer be the same size as the tracked layer to work

Camera Track - which requires that you have sufficient fixed geometry in your scene with significant parallax and perspective changes to solve for a camera. Camera Track adds a keyframed camera to your scene and allows you to attach nulls, solids, and text layers to the fixed geometry in your scene. That's the only thing that Camera Track is used for. More than 90% of the people that I have helped with their first Camera Track project had expectations for this tool that do not even come close to the tools capabilities.

Track in Mocha - A planar tracker that tracks surfaces and can give you rotoscoped masks, corner pin data, and position tracking data. Mocha requires a bit of training to use properly and effectively.

Here's the deal, for some shots the most efficient and easiest solution is to motion stabilize then re-introduce the motion to shot and add it to the effects.

For other shots Motion Track is the easiest and most efficient solution. Other shots work best with Mocha. The point is that without seeing the shot you are using and knowing exactly what you are trying to do there is no way to point you to the most efficient and easiest solution.