15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 6:58 AM by Newsgroup_User

recognizing castLibs

Level 7
      I starting a new thread here because I suspect the responders see the other
      as closed. This is also a different issue.

I used Sean's suggestion of using an unprotected castLib, setting the
      first launch date there and check it agains the systemDate for each
      subsequent launch. I works perfectly in authoring but when I try it from
      the projector, I get a "movie cast not found" error. I'm assuming I can't
      save a CXT file so I need to leave it as a CST file. But why would the
      protected director file not be able to find the appdata.cst cast file? Do I
      have to attach it on the fly?

Again, it works perfectly from the projector in the unprotected version.

I did some more checking, cycling through the castLibs and displaying their
      paths in an alert window. In the projector, it sees 10 castlibs and
      appData.cst does not show up. In authoring using all unprotected files, it
      shows 11 and appData.cst shows up.

Is the only way to use an unprotected CST file to use it with only
      unprotected .dir's? i.e. can no files be protected in a project if one is to
      need to write to an unproteced .dir or .cst?

Craig

• 1. Re: recognizing castLibs
          Level 7
          Can you perhaps "fool" the projector by creating a link to a named cast
          and protecting it along with your movies, but then setting the filename
          of this castLib to the one you will use for date verification when the
          movie starts up?

That being suggested, I can't think why you'd have to - this should work
          off-the-shelf, without any hoop jumping. Perhaps you could try it all
          again with a protected castLib.
          • 2. Re: recognizing castLibs
            fazstp Level 2
            I'm pretty sure you can save a CXT. It's a quick way of unprotecting a castLib (minus code of course). If it's shockwave it can't be saved though. At what point do you get that error message?

• 3. Re: recognizing castLibs
              Level 7
              I put alerts before each reference to the cast and the error came at the
              first refrence to cast "appData"

I also put in a loop within which I put an alert listing the castLibNum, the
              number of castLibs and the castLib name. In authoring there are 11 casts
              and in the projector that loop alerted only 10.

I ultimately just wrote a text file to the same path as the cast files and
              put the first launch date in that file. Then I compare each subsequent
              launch to the date in that file.

I don't mind workarounds or solutions but I'm always curious why something
              like this castlib issue arrises and why an unprotected castlib would not be
              recognized by a protected .dir file. Maybe it's to help stop the spread of
              disease ;)

Craig
              www.wordofmouthpros.com

--
              "fazstp" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:go1jue$du0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > I'm pretty sure you can save a CXT. It's a quick way of unprotecting a
              > castLib (minus code of course). If it's shockwave it can't be saved
              > though. At what point do you get that error message?
              >
              >

• 4. Re: recognizing castLibs
                Level 7
                Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.and help

--
                Craig

"WOMP" <forums@wordofmo.com> wrote in message
                news:go10ko$ju1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I starting a new thread here because I suspect the responders see the other
                >as closed. This is also a different issue.
                >
                > I used Sean's suggestion of using an unprotected castLib, setting the
                > first launch date there and check it agains the systemDate for each
                > subsequent launch. I works perfectly in authoring but when I try it from
                > the projector, I get a "movie cast not found" error. I'm assuming I can't
                > save a CXT file so I need to leave it as a CST file. But why would the
                > protected director file not be able to find the appdata.cst cast file? Do
                > I
                > have to attach it on the fly?
                >
                > Again, it works perfectly from the projector in the unprotected version.
                >
                > I did some more checking, cycling through the castLibs and displaying
                > their paths in an alert window. In the projector, it sees 10 castlibs and
                > appData.cst does not show up. In authoring using all unprotected files,
                > it shows 11 and appData.cst shows up.
                >
                > Is the only way to use an unprotected CST file to use it with only
                > unprotected .dir's? i.e. can no files be protected in a project if one is
                > to need to write to an unproteced .dir or .cst?
                >
                > Craig
                >
                >

• 5. Re: recognizing castLibs
                  Level 7

>I starting a new thread here because I suspect the responders see the
                  >other as closed. This is also a different issue.
                  >
                  > I used Sean's suggestion of using an unprotected castLib, setting
                  > the
                  > subsequent launch. I works perfectly in authoring but when I try it
                  > from
                  > the projector, I get a "movie cast not found" error. I'm assuming I
                  > can't
                  > save a CXT file so I need to leave it as a CST file. But why would
                  > the
                  > protected director file not be able to find the appdata.cst cast
                  > file? Do I
                  >
                  > Again, it works perfectly from the projector in the unprotected
                  > version.
                  >
                  > I did some more checking, cycling through the castLibs and
                  > displaying their paths in an alert window. In the projector, it
                  > sees 10 castlibs and appData.cst does not show up. In authoring
                  > using all unprotected files, it shows 11 and appData.cst shows up.
                  >
                  > unprotected .dir's? i.e. can no files be protected in a project if
                  > one is to need to write to an unproteced .dir or .cst?
                  >
                  > Craig
                  >

Sounds strange, I have done it so many times (at least if I understand
                  correctly what you try to do).

What OS and DIR version?

How are you protecting the castlib? You make a copy first, and then
                  protect them in the original location?

Do you have a simple demo we can check to see whats happening?

Richard

• 6. Re: recognizing castLibs
                    Level 7
                    I have two folders, one called <program name>_SOURCE and one called <program
                    name_LOCKED

I copy the .dir and .cst files into the LOCKED folder then use update movies
                    from the xtras menu in Director...all something I've done a thousand times
                    before.

I could pair is down to a simple file when I get a chance. Although I chose
                    to accomplish what I needed a different way, i'd be happy to learn what's
                    going on here.

Craig

"LOOPING_Richard" <root@localhost.not> wrote in message
                    news:go1rrb$n7i$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >
                    > "WOMP" <forums@wordofmo.com> wrote in message
                    > news:go10ko$ju1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >>I starting a new thread here because I suspect the responders see the
                    >>other as closed. This is also a different issue.
                    >>
                    >> I used Sean's suggestion of using an unprotected castLib, setting the
                    >> first launch date there and check it agains the systemDate for each
                    >> subsequent launch. I works perfectly in authoring but when I try it from
                    >> the projector, I get a "movie cast not found" error. I'm assuming I
                    >> can't
                    >> save a CXT file so I need to leave it as a CST file. But why would the
                    >> protected director file not be able to find the appdata.cst cast file?
                    >> Do I
                    >> have to attach it on the fly?
                    >>
                    >> Again, it works perfectly from the projector in the unprotected version.
                    >>
                    >> I did some more checking, cycling through the castLibs and displaying
                    >> their paths in an alert window. In the projector, it sees 10 castlibs
                    >> and appData.cst does not show up. In authoring using all unprotected
                    >> files, it shows 11 and appData.cst shows up.
                    >>
                    >> Is the only way to use an unprotected CST file to use it with only
                    >> unprotected .dir's? i.e. can no files be protected in a project if one is
                    >> to need to write to an unproteced .dir or .cst?
                    >>
                    >> Craig
                    >>
                    >
                    > Sounds strange, I have done it so many times (at least if I understand
                    > correctly what you try to do).
                    >
                    > What OS and DIR version?
                    >
                    > How are you protecting the castlib? You make a copy first, and then
                    > protect them in the original location?
                    >
                    > Do you have a simple demo we can check to see whats happening?
                    >
                    > Richard
                    >

• 7. Re: recognizing castLibs
                      fazstp Level 2
                      As far as linking the castLib dynamically there's this;

member( 0 ).importFileInto( _movie.path & "appdata.cst" )

Undocumented Lingo: #importFileInto
                      • 8. Re: recognizing castLibs
                        Level 7
                        > As far as linking the castLib dynamically there's this;
                        > member( 0 ).importFileInto( _movie.path & "appdata.cst" )

Which only works at author-time
                        • 9. Re: recognizing castLibs
                          fazstp Level 2
                          quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                          Which only works at author-time

Ah, must have missed that bit.

• 10. Re: recognizing castLibs
                            Level 7
                            also, my cast was linked at authoring and in authoring it is recognized (I
                            mentioned that I looped through the number of castlibs alerting each cast
                            number, name, etc.) but it isn't recognized from the projector.

--
                            Craig S. Wollman

Word of Mouth Productions
                            159-00 Riverside Drive West
                            New York, New York 10032
                            (212) 928-9581
                            news:go2ae0$ah0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > As far as linking the castLib dynamically there's this;
                            >
                            > member( 0 ).importFileInto( _movie.path & "appdata.cst" )
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > http://collab.directorforum.com/Undocumented_Lingo#importFileInto_with_castLib_f
                            > iles
                            >

• 11. Re: recognizing castLibs
                              fazstp Level 2
                              It seems pretty odd. I just tried it as you described and had no problem linking to and saving a protected cast lib in a projector (on a mac at least).
                              • 12. Re: recognizing castLibs
                                Level 7
                                But I'm not linking in real time. Maybe I have to. But the cast is a linked
                                cast in authoring mode. Since I solved t he problem with another approach,
                                I don't NEED to solve this but I'm very curious why it's happening. If I
                                find a way to do it, like linking the cast on the fly, it won't satisfy my
                                curiosity about why it's not working the way I'm doing it.

When I can I'm going to set up a test file and see what's up.

news:go2hsj$irf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > It seems pretty odd. I just tried it as you described and had no problem
                                > linking to and saving a protected cast lib in a projector (on a mac at
                                > least).

• 13. Re: recognizing castLibs
                                  fazstp Level 2
                                  Yeah, I didn't link on the fly. Should have clarified. Created a basic dir with a bunch of internal castLibs and an external one. Added a text field on the stage to show the castLib info in the projector.

on showCastInfo
                                  str = EMPTY
                                  repeat with n = 1 to _movie.castLib.count
                                  put "castLib" && n & ":" & _movie.castLib[n].name & RETURN after str
                                  put "<" & _movie.castLib[n].fileName & ">" & RETURN after str
                                  end repeat
                                  put str into member( "Cast Info" )
                                  end showCastInfo

Then added a quick save function;

on mouseUp
                                  cxt = ( xtra( "FileIO" ).new() ).displaySave( EMPTY, "Test.cxt" )
                                  _movie.castLib["LinkTest"].save( cxt )
                                  showCastInfo()
                                  end mouseUp

Copied movie and cast into new folder and did update movie > protect and delete. Linked to protected from stub projector and all went according to plan.

• 14. Re: recognizing castLibs
                                    Level 7
                                    Well, that's something I hadn't tried...protecting the file i was trying to
                                    save.

--
                                    Craig S. Wollman

New York, New York 10032
                                    (212) 928-9581
                                    news:go48bh$ojk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > Yeah, I didn't link on the fly. Should have clarified. Created a basic dir
                                    > with
                                    > a bunch of internal castLibs and an external one. Added a text field on
                                    > the
                                    > stage to show the castLib info in the projector.
                                    >
                                    > on showCastInfo
                                    > str = EMPTY
                                    > repeat with n = 1 to _movie.castLib.count
                                    > put "castLib" && n & ":" & _movie.castLib[n].name & RETURN after str
                                    > put "<" & _movie.castLib[n].fileName & ">" & RETURN after str
                                    > end repeat
                                    > put str into member( "Cast Info" )
                                    > end showCastInfo
                                    >
                                    > Then added a quick save function;
                                    >
                                    > on mouseUp
                                    > cxt = ( xtra( "FileIO" ).new() ).displaySave( EMPTY, "Test.cxt" )
                                    > _movie.castLib["LinkTest"].save( cxt )
                                    > showCastInfo()
                                    > end mouseUp
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > Copied movie and cast into new folder and did update movie > protect and
                                    > delete. Linked to protected from stub projector and all went according to
                                    > plan.
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >

• 15. Re: recognizing castLibs
                                      Level 7
                                      I did a test. I created a .dir with an external cast and a stub projector.
                                      I protected the .dir but not the .cst. I created a loop with an alert that
                                      shows the castLibNum and the number of castlibs and sure enough it showed 2
                                      casts (the internal and the .cst external)

So obviously there is something about my project that is not right and the
                                      main movie isn't recognizing the cast.

I just thought of something...it's possible the main.dxr movie navigates to
                                      another movie and the second movie doesn't have the castlib attached. I
                                      doubt this is the case because I think all the files are casts except for
                                      the main.dir (dxr) movie but I'll check on that. I'll just add the
                                      movieName to the alert to check.

I inherited this project and I'm not as familiar with the structure as I
                                      might be if I had developed it.

--
                                      Craig S. Wollman

New York, New York 10032
                                      (212) 928-9581
                                      >I starting a new thread here because I suspect the responders see the other
                                      >as closed. This is also a different issue.
                                      >
                                      > I used Sean's suggestion of using an unprotected castLib, setting the
                                      > subsequent launch. I works perfectly in authoring but when I try it from
                                      > the projector, I get a "movie cast not found" error. I'm assuming I can't
                                      > save a CXT file so I need to leave it as a CST file. But why would the
                                      > protected director file not be able to find the appdata.cst cast file? Do
                                      > I
                                      >
                                      > Again, it works perfectly from the projector in the unprotected version.
                                      >
                                      > I did some more checking, cycling through the castLibs and displaying
                                      > their paths in an alert window. In the projector, it sees 10 castlibs and
                                      > appData.cst does not show up. In authoring using all unprotected files,
                                      > it shows 11 and appData.cst shows up.
                                      >
                                      > unprotected .dir's? i.e. can no files be protected in a project if one is
                                      > to need to write to an unproteced .dir or .cst?
                                      >
                                      > Craig
                                      >
                                      >