5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 1:24 PM by rob day

placing .png transparency SolidWorks drawings in my InDesign CC

ambf Level 1

I have .png files of SolidWorks drawings that I have given a transparent background.  In Photoshop, Photo Viewer, GIMP, and other .png compatible programs they look FANTASTIC... that is, until I place them into Adobe InDesign.  When I place them in InDesign (my display IS set to High Performance) they look fine, BUT some of the lines of the drawing disappear... Whether I view as RICH BLACK, or ACCURATE BLACK the .png prints missing the line as well. HERE IS THE EVEN BIGGER QUESTION... when I move the .png file around the page the lines come back (and will print) but OTHER lines disappear... HELP!!! What Gives!?

• 1. Re: placing .png transparency SolidWorks drawings in my InDesign CC
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The preview for placed objects is a proxy and you never see the actual pixels even with the high quality preview setting. The proxy is only for the preview and wouldn't affect output. Try zooming in on the image at 400% or higher.

• 2. Re: placing .png transparency SolidWorks drawings in my InDesign CC
            ambf Level 1

I agree, and am aware of that, but what I am not understanding is (when zoomed in 400% I can see all lines) when zoomed to "actual" one of the lines in my drawing is missing and when I print the page out it is missing on the printout as well...  Will this change when printed at the publisher so that missing line will show?  I am printing draft pages before production on my office laser printer... and lo and behold the same lines that are missing when viewing at "actual" are also missing on my printed page.

• 3. Re: placing .png transparency SolidWorks drawings in my InDesign CC

In the Print dialog there is an option to send all data. Are you sending all of the image data? Are you missing lines if you export to PDF with no down sampling in the Compression tab?

• 4. Re: placing .png transparency SolidWorks drawings in my InDesign CC
                ambf Level 1

Ok folks, I believe I have just figured out the answer to my own above stated issue... My Solidworks drawing was a VERY large drawing.  For some reason, re-sizing the image using InDesign to a smaller size for the page on one of my spreads was causing some of the lines not to be visible... I scaled the image to a smaller size (same resolution) using Photoshop and re-saved, then replaced my prior .png of the drawing with the scaled down version... IT WORKED GREAT and now looks FANTASTIC.  SO, if any of you are having issues seeing any of the lines in your SolidWorks .png after resizing using Indesing... Just do as I have said and it will fix it.  Thanks to Rob Day for spurring the additional ideas.

• 5. Re: placing .png transparency SolidWorks drawings in my InDesign CC

It sounds like the scaled res (effective res in link info panel) maybe exceeded your printer's capabilty? InDesign doesnt resample images--the pixels simply get scaled. But it would be possible to scale a 1 or 2 pixel line to the point where the printer could no longer resolve the lines