5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 4:05 AM by dj_paige

Adjustment Brush is nearly unusable in Lightroom 5

jadynmcleod

So I see this problem all over the internet for Lightroom CC/6, but the simple change in Edit Preferences isn't an option in Lightroom 5. Basically I've been using Lightroom 5 for quite a while and suddenly the Adjustment Brush is almost useless. It processes for 2 to 10 seconds with every movement. Sometimes my adjustment is carried out, but often times it doesn't work at all. Even changing the settings for the mask can cause it to go into a hyper slow/think mode. It's making the application useless.

• 1. Re: Adjustment Brush is nearly unusable in Lightroom 5
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi jadynmcleod, 

Please backup your catalog following How to back up catalogs in Lightroom

Then reset preferences.See How to set Lightroom preferences

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Akash

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adjustment Brush is nearly unusable in Lightroom 5
            JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

Try turning Auto Mask off and tell us what happens.

• 3. Re: Adjustment Brush is nearly unusable in Lightroom 5
              dj_paige Level 9

Basically I've been using Lightroom 5 for quite a while and suddenly the Adjustment Brush is almost useless. It processes for 2 to 10 seconds with every movement. Sometimes my adjustment is carried out, but often times it doesn't work at all. Even changing the settings for the mask can cause it to go into a hyper slow/think mode. It's making the application useless.

If you are doing a lot of brushing on a photo, this is a known problem in Lightroom.

Some things you can try on new photos:

• turn off the auto mask
              • do the brushing as the next to last editing step; and the last step is turning on lens corrections
              • do the brushing in Photoshop Elements or Photoshop
              • get a faster CPU
              • 4. Re: Adjustment Brush is nearly unusable in Lightroom 5
                Zandemic

Here's the crazy thing,

Using the adjustment brush on a high end machine should not bring the machine to it's knees. There has to be some sort of memory leak that is causing this when using multiple adjustment brush layers.

I'm running an Intel Xeon E5-2687W v4 with 64GB Ram on a workstation with Lightroom 6.7

System Model: HP Z840 Workstation

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2687W v4 @ 3.00GHz (24 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 65536MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 65452MB RAM

Page File: 6766MB used, 68413MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

I still cannot use more than 2 or three adjustment brush layer without Lightroom crawling. I've tried backing up my catalog, resetting LR to default, rebooting my machine, and working on another photo. At this point, is it safe to assume that LR users should completely avoid the adjustment brush and use another program? Seems counter productive.

• 5. Re: Adjustment Brush is nearly unusable in Lightroom 5
                  dj_paige Level 9

Using the adjustment brush on a high end machine should not bring the machine to it's knees.

I disagree. If you do enough brushing, the slowdown will happen.

At this point, is it safe to assume that LR users should completely avoid the adjustment brush and use another program? Seems counter productive.

Again, I disagree. Those weren't the recommendations I gave. Please try those recommendations. Also, since you have Lightroom 6, turn off your GPU acceleration (go to Preferences, click on the Performance tab, then uncheck the box)