5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2016 3:45 AM by Darcey76

Creating a interactive flash file (coloring board) and saving results to mysql

schalkl65799860 Level 1

Hi All

I have been referred to this forum to see if you guys can help.

I need to know if flash builder can be used to create an interactive flash file with coloring buttons.

Once the coloring buttons are pressed, then it will change relevant section on my image.

I then want to save the results to MySql database for future use.

Please advice.

bowstring.JPG

• 1. Re: Creating a interactive flash file (coloring board) and saving results to mysql
          Darcey76 Level 1

If your object is built the correct way then yes.

If built via flash as a library item:

Movieclip can contain 2 movieclips (left side color mc and right side color mc) and you then just apply a color filter/tint to either 1.

Store the color code in anything you want mysql is an option but you will need a serverside language such as php to do that.

If built via AS3 (class)

Class would extend sprite, have 2 other display objects (shape, sprite, movieclip) inside of it which will use 2 color variables. Again the color variables can be loaded and saved to a mysql which will require a serverside language such as php.

AS3 > MySQL

1. Google Adobe Livedocs post variables to script

2. Create php script to receive $_POST or $_GET variables, connect to your mysql db and write a query to insert a record (google php mysql connection and php mysql insert for examples)

MySQL > AS3

1. Google Adobe LiveDocs for retrieve variables from php script (urlrequest it could be)

2. Create PHP script for AS3 to call to retrieve color values (google search: "php connect to mysql database" & "php select tutorial"

• 2. Re: Creating a interactive flash file (coloring board) and saving results to mysql
            schalkl65799860 Level 1

Dear Darcey

Thank you for replying.

I do know PHP, so I understand that my best bet would then be to go with Adobe Build?

Ido not know how to do this... Linking and creating the link to my database.

Is there any tutorials on something simular like this? Maybe a coloring book so that I can get an idea on how to do this?

Thanking you in regards

• 3. Re: Creating a interactive flash file (coloring board) and saving results to mysql
              Darcey76 Level 1

Tutorials for this, no idea, google search should find 1000s as for coloring book specific, no idea but should be a few around (I've never had any clients request I make one for them).

Flash / FlashBuilder (AS3)

Works the same as AJAX, just simpler (you make a request to a url of choice (your php script), maybe send some url variables (name=bob&age=400) etc and then the PHP script at the url takes care of the rest, it's that simple. Google search "adobe livedocs urlvariables", "as3 sending data to php script", these are the tutorials you need. One from my old website is here: AFTC: ActionScript & MXML > ActionScript 3 > XML > AS3 URLLoader VARIABLES  (NOTE: this does XML not just standard url variables (key value pair)

Also flash deals with object, an object can be tinted/color transformed, pixel by pixel drawing cannot be associated with a specific color, so changing that after it's been drawn and remembering is something not even adobe photoshop can do. But this can be done with layers, which flash has also (the display stack). Layer 1 drawing with color used on left and layer 2 dwaring with color used on right. However this would limit you to only use 1 color if you want it to change the color of what was previously drawn unless you program in the ability to add layers etc (like photoshop).

It the same as JavaScript CANVAS, or thinking in JPG/PNG terms it's all 1000s of pixels when it comes to drawing with bitmap data, and not objects as the whole bitmap is an object and only that can have its color transformed / tinted.

You need to google about, try a few tutorials, get a feel for what you can do and go from there. Alternatively write up a brief of exactly what you want and hire someone to build it for you, the more functionality require and professional you want the application to look, the more it will cost.

D

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Creating a interactive flash file (coloring board) and saving results to mysql
                schalkl65799860 Level 1

Thank you Darcey.

I am trying to learn flash builder now in my 30 day trial. I hope I can manage as I have NO experience with it.

How much will you charge me to build just a basic flash like in my image for me? I just need to capture the colors selected to the database so that it can be used for future. Also for reference for the owner of the site so that he can create the bow strings accordingly.

If the values can be written to a database table, then I can use it accordingly.

I need 2 string colors and 3 string colors.

I know that for an experienced flash builder like you, it wont even take much to do this. ;-)

Thanking you in regards