2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 3:57 AM by Rick Gerard

question on using track motion

PremiereNoobSigh Level 1

so after ive tracked the motion of something like a face, how do i determine or change WHERE my object is located when i apply the motion

for instance lets say ive tracked a person's nose.....how do i then set it so i can put a hat on the person's head? because when i apply the tracked motion to whatever layer or mask or w/e that i have....it automatically puts that object right next to what ive tracked.....but i want to put that object beside or on top or below what ive tracked

thanks very much for the help

• 1. Re: question on using track motion
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

A common practice is to apply the motion to a Null then parent the layer to the null. Now you are free to move the layer anywhere.

• 2. Re: question on using track motion
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Apply your track to a null then add your new layer and parent the layer to the null.

I would spend some time looking at the community assets that are available on tracking by typing the exact type of tracking you are doing into the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE. For example if you are using Track Motion then type track motion in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and study up. Almost every decent tutorial on track motion uses a null.

The most efficient way to track a shot depends entirely on the shot and what you are trying to accomplish. Without seeing the shot it's hard to know exactly what to suggest. From your description it sounds like you just need to use the standard null/parent workflow.