1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 8, 2016 6:53 AM by D Fosse

The saved image (Tif and JPG) of my edited Camera Raw file is lighter than the file.

danielg50178951 Level 1

I'm editing in Camera Raw. It's strange. When I click on the saved file, for a moment it is identical to the RAW image and then it becomes lighter. What's going on? Below is an example. On the left is the Camera Raw workstation and to the right is the saved Tif. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 4.36.22 AM.png

• 1. Re: The saved image (Tif and JPG) of my edited Camera Raw file is lighter than the file.
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I see you're working in grayscale. Not all applications do full color management on grayscale - not even when they are supposedly color managed. The problem here is more likely with Preview.

To my knowledge, the only application that does proper color management on grayscale is Photoshop.

Try one of the standard spaces, sRGB or Adobe RGB preferably. ProPhoto is compressed in the shadows and will exaggerate the smallest inaccuracies in the shadow values (and not needed for B&W anyway).

Generally, all color managed applications should always display identically, regardless of profile (that's the whole point of color management). If they don't, it's usually because of a problem with the monitor profile.

But grayscale is a minefield because of poor color management support, and this is not all that surprising. I avoid grayscale whenever possible.