5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2016 5:18 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 15 so choppy it's almost unusable

Michael Byrnes

I bought this program yesterday and want to return it today. It is sooooo slow and choppy so as to be almost completely unusable.  I'm filming with the Phantom 3 Professional drone that is capable of taking ultra high definition video. When I import media onto the timeline and ttry to edit it it's as though I'm using a vastly underpowered machine. Just for fun, I dragged a very short video clip onto the timeline (10 sec) and went right to exporting it. The program indicated it was going to take more than 4 hours! Say what you want about iMovie, but it did it - smoothly - in seconds! C'mon, Adobe! You're better than this! My system meets all requirements and I am able to edit HD video in iMovie, from which I was hoping to upgrade.  I hope somebody has a suggestion that will help make this problem go away, because I almost have no hair left to pull out.  I am using a MacBook Pro, late 2013, 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, loads of available space.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 15 so choppy it's almost unusable
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What format and resolution is your video?

When you added your first clip to your timeline, did you see a yellow orange "render" line above the first clip? If so, this indicates that the program was not able to match the project settings to your video specs -- which it needs to do in order for the program to perform efficiently.

RenderLine.jpg

In other words, you do NOT want to see a render line above the first clip you add to your timeline.

I've created a free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series for this program. The first tutorial shows you how the program matches its project settings to your video specs, and what to do if it doesn't.

*** Basic Training for Premiere Elements ***

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 15 so choppy it's almost unusable
            8687628135619 Level 1

Hi, I'm trying to use some 1080p 60fps GoPro footage converted from MP4 in GoPro Studio to Cineform .avi files.

I'm getting the yellow render line.

What project settings do I select for 60fps .avi files?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 15 so choppy it's almost unusable

Cineform AVI is not a standard format for editing with Premiere Elements. It is not a good idea to convert the GoPro footage since Premiere Elements CAN edit native GoPro footage. Converting your video is making it LESS compatible with Premiere Elements.

Why did you convert it?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 15 so choppy it's almost unusable
                8687628135619 Level 1

Hey, thanks for the reply and it's good to know that cineform is less compatible with Premiere Elements.

I have the Hero 5 Black with GPS tracking. In order to overlay GPS guages on the video, like speed, distance, elevation, you have to use the Quik desktop app which outputs a cineform avi format with no choice in the format used.

I've also seen it recommend by GoPro to convert to cineform for editing to ensure the best output results. GoPro Studio also does this by default before you can create an edit from your clips.

I'm just wondering if I have the right software for the job, I've bought Premiere Elements 15, but would a different program suit my purposes better?

I mainly want to edit 60fps or 120fps GoPro footage in 1080p or above and output an mp4 at 60fps for high quality local viewing and also YouTube/Vimeo. I'd like to keep the same quality of the original GoPro clips in my movies for local viewing and I'm not too worried about the hard drive space taken up.

The first few clips I exported using the presets in Premier Elements 15 were blocky and a step down in quality from the original GoPro footage with a noticable loss of detail. So that's why I started looking into getting the highest quality output to match the quality of the inputted GoPro footage.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 15 so choppy it's almost unusable

Try the free download of CyberLink PowerDirector 15 and see if it meets your needs. It reads 120 fps video and handles a wider range of codecs (although I don't know for sure that it supports Cineform).

Otherwise, does your GoPro come  with its own software? That would be the best to work on video at the level you're looking to edit.

If not, you'll most likely need to use a professional editing app like Premiere Pro CC or, at the very least, Magix's Vegas Pro.

1 person found this helpful