2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2016 1:43 PM by rglohre

Stock pricing

dhmiller

As a contributor I find the pricing utterly absurd - I am getting between 10 and 40 cents per image, with no clue why even the same image nets a different amount in licensing fees. Why are these images being almost given away so cheaply? There is no better way to devalue someone's work (and a medium as a whole) than to charge literally pennies for it.

Can someone explain the logic behind the pricing structure - not even clear what it is nor why I would get a different amount for the sale of the same image.

Of course there is no way (that I could find) to ask anyone at Adobe directly about anything ...

• 1. Re: Stock pricing
          MatHayward Adobe Employee

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for your question. There shouldn't be any way you are getting 10 cents per image but I understand your point. The commission structure is 33% of the price paid per image. The price paid varies based on the number of images the customer commits to purchasing. As an example, if they only want to purchase one license the cost is $9.99 so your commission is $3.30. If however, they purchase a large subscription such as the $199.99 for 750 downloads, the number of licenses increase and the cost per image goes down for the customer. This benefits the photographers with the overall volume of licenses being purchased. For these large subscriptions there is a minimum payment amount in place which is set by your rank. Your earned commissions will never drop below this amount. Your rank is determined by the number of images you sell. The more you sell, the higher your rank. The higher your rank, the higher the minimum commission amount.

When you are first getting started I understand and know first hand that you pay close attention to individual sales so it can be surprising to see a 25 cent commission. As time goes on and your portfolio grows, many have found that the overall volume of sales and the net amount being deposited into their bank account at the end of the month is where it pays off.

It takes time, determination and hard work but there is literally no limit to how much you can earn if you are willing to commit yourself. There are photographers who submit a few images here and there and make a few bucks here and there and they are cool with that. There are others that work hard, create stellar content and submit on a consistent basis that make a serious income shooting stock.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck and please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly if you have any other questions, comments or concerns.

You can find additional information regarding commissions at this link: Account and payment information

-Mat Hayward

email: mhayward@adobe.com

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stock pricing
            rglohre

Thanks for asking Dennis.  Unfortunately it's as you say, devaluing our work for their volume benefit.  I'll be closing my account unless they are able to find a way for me to restrict to individual sales and not allow for subscription use to purchase my images.

Respectfully,

Rick Lohre