8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 2:58 PM by JimHess

RAW & DNG Files [Have read that DNG is inferior to Raw. How to convert DNG back to Raw?]

russr60397189

When I imported my photos into LR, i told it to convert the RAW (Nikon) files to DNG and to delete the RAW files.

I want to revert back to having the RAW files instead of the DNG files, and have the original work on a hard drive.

What is the best way do do this?

Thanks,

Russ

• 1. Re: RAW & DNG Files
          dj_paige Level 9

I don't think there's a way to do this in Lightroom, other than starting from scratch, importing the RAW photos (which loses the edits and user-supplied metadata).

Perhaps someone has written a plug-in (or ExifTool script) that can copy the edits and user-supplied metadata from the DNG to RAW, in which case you wouldn't lose your edits.

Why do you want to do this, anyway? It's a lot of work, and no obvious benefit if you continue to use Lightroom.

• 2. Re: RAW & DNG Files
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The DNG file has the same raw data as the original file from the camera. When images are imported into Lightroom default camera settings are applied.  You can reset the DNG file just as easily as you can  the original raw file by clicking on the reset button in the developed module. I can't see any real benefit  to going back to the original raw files.

• 3. Re: RAW & DNG Files
              russr60397189 Level 1

I'm not 100% sure I want to.

I read that DNG is inferior to RAW, but who knows?

Sent from my iPhone

• 4. Re: RAW & DNG Files
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I take it you think you possibly should because of some persuasive online articles you read which have created vague doubts in your mind but you're not sure why? Got any links?

You haven't lost anything by converting to DNG. Just a sideways shift from one format to an equivalent. Have you experienced any issues using DNG files?

Perhaps be happy with the DNGs you've got and in future don't delete the RAW files. Just keep them handy for future reference.

• 5. Re: RAW & DNG Files
                  Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

As others have told you, DNG files are in every way as good as proprietary raw files, and in some respects even better.

My DNGs converted from NEF files take up 20% less space than the NEFs - DNG uses lossless compression.

And if you should need to save metadata to the files, it is stored in the DNG files, no need for additional XMP files that you would get with NEFs.

• 6. Re: RAW & DNG Files
                    dj_paige Level 9

russr60397189 wrote:

Who knows? That's a good reason to take drastic and time consuming action.

However, the good news is that lots of people know.

Comparing DNG to RAW, there is no difference at all in the image (not a single pixel has changed); and there is no difference in your ability to edit it.

• 7. Re: RAW & DNG Files [Have read that DNG is inferior to Raw. How to convert DNG back to Raw?]
                      DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

The article in the link below should provide enough info so you can make an informed decision.

DNG Pros, Cons and Myths | Photoshop Blog by Adobe

• 8. Re: RAW & DNG Files [Have read that DNG is inferior to Raw. How to convert DNG back to Raw?]
                        JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

russr60397189 wrote:

I'm not 100% sure I want to.

Sent from my iPhone

I can tell you from experience that there is no quality difference whatsoever between DNG files and original camera raw files. But if you really want to know yourself try converting one of your raw files to DNG and retain the original and work on the two of them. Do a comparison for yourself. Yes, some people prefer not to work  with DNG files. But you really will not gain anything by converting DNG files back to original raw files even if that was possible.