1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2018 1:04 AM by Jim Wilde

Strange folder behavior

I just did a clean install of macOS Sierra and opened my main catalog into a new download of Lightroom. All went well. But when I started importing new images, the Folders display in Library mode is incorrect (or at least I think it is). I have a screenshot below of the Folders pane post-import. On Import I'm directing Lightroom to import into a subfolder. In this case, I highlighted the folder call RAW in the Destination pane, clicked the "Into Subfolder" checkbox and named the new subfolder Hurd Barn Dance. After import, the Folders pane shows a new folder called RAW with Hurd Barn Dance as a subfolder. However, this should be shown as a subfolder of /2016/RAW. When I right-click on the new folder and select Show in Finder it shows it in its correct location (inside .../2016/RAW). When I try to move it Lightroom tells me that a "folder a named Hurd Barn Dance" already exists in this location. I'm running 2015.7 Release.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 4.38.55 PM.png

• 1. Re: Strange folder behavior
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Back up your catalog (incase something goes wrong) and then with the second instance of RAW ctrl+click it and select "Show Parent Folder".

• 2. Re: Strange folder behavior
            D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

Yep. What he said.

That and test the integrity of catalog if it doesn't work.

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 11.30.07 PM.png

To see this dialog press the Option/Alt key while launching Lightroom.

• 3. Re: Strange folder behavior
              chrism19529431 Level 1

Thank you Geoff and D.A.R. for your replies. I selected Show Parent Folder as suggested and have a screen shot of the result below. You can see that instead of displaying the folder in it's actual disk location, it shows its parent (RAW) and its parent's parent (2016) also bumped up a level at the top of the Folders display. When I select Show Parent Folder on folder 2016 I get the following error message:

Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 8.21.15 AM.png

I then did an integrity test as D.A.R. suggested and the catalog re-opened with no issues. Any thought on another fix?

Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 8.11.40 AM.png

• 4. Re: Strange folder behavior
                dj_paige Level 9

Please read reply #4 from Jim Wilde and reply #8 from ehch in this thread

Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import

• 5. Re: Strange folder behavior
                  Jim Wilde Adobe Community Professional

Paige is correct, it looks like the "capitalisation" issue. Before you can fix it, you have to determine which of the two folder paths is incorrect. To do this you need to do the following:

1. In the Folders Panel, hover your mouse over the "2016" folder which you showed at the top of your last screenshot. A tool-tip will appear, listing the full path to that folder. Please note that down, paying attention to the upper/lower case of each letter.

2. Then do the same for the "Master Image Vault" folder lower down. There should be at least one case difference somewhere along the full path (as you've just updated to Sierra, possibly the user name?).

3. Then we need to figure out which one is correct. For that we need to see the full path to "Master Image Vault" from within Finder, from the drive name downwards.

• 6. Re: Strange folder behavior
                    chrism19529431 Level 1

Thanks again everyone for the replies. That's definitely the problem - and it looks like the issue is in fact my user name. Pre-Sierra I used McNiffe_Office but post-clean install I named it mcniffe_office.  Specifically, the tool-tips show:

- "Master Image Vault" lives at /Users/McNiffe_Office/Pictures/Master Image Vault

- all 2016 imports prior to the Sierra update live at  /Users/McNiffe_Office/Pictures/Master Image Vault/2016

- new subfolders created after the update show as residing in /Users/mcniffe_office/Pictures/Master Image Vault/2016/RAW

Any thoughts on a safe fix?

• 7. Re: Strange folder behavior
                      dj_paige Level 9

Doesn't Jim Wilde's reply #4 in the thread I linked to provide the definitive fix?

• 8. Re: Strange folder behavior
                        chrism19529431 Level 1

It worked like a charm. Everything now displays as it should. Thanks so much for your help!

• 9. Re: Strange folder behavior

Screenshot (4).png

Hi I hope you can help me. I have tried following your instructions but I must be doing something wrong

I have just moved to a new computer but for a few days everything was ok

now all my edits are being saved in lightroom in a duplicate place

this is what it looks like if I show parent folder

the original lightroom path was D:\users\julie\pictures\Digital Camera Photos

the path for the saved edits is now D:\Julie\Users\pictures\Digital Camera Photos

the file name my pictures folder is

D:\users\julie\pictures\Digital Camera Photos

Hoping you will be able to help me fix this. also is this a bug or did I mess up somehow

Kind regards

• 10. Re: Strange folder behavior
                            dj_paige Level 9

Can't you simply drag and drop the photos into the desired folder?

• 11. Re: Strange folder behavior
                              juliehuli Level 1

no, it tells me they are already there if I try to do it in lightroom.

In the actual photos folder they are already in the right place.

The file with the capitals only exists in lightroom

• 12. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                dj_paige Level 9

So explain what you to try to fix this problem, in great detail,  so we can possibly identify your mistake.

• 13. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                  juliehuli Level 1

I tried to follow Jim wildes instructions below

I updated the folder location of the newly created folders in lightroom

it worked but as soon as I did another edit the same problem occurred

the directions were for a specific user so I may be choosing the wrong folder to update?

1. Backup your catalog.

2. Create a root level folder on the C drive, call it whatever you want, say "Capitals Fix".

3. Right-click on the "LR_LIBRARY_2013" year folder in the Lightroom Folders Panel and select "Update Folder Location". In the file browser that then opens, browse to and select the "Capitals Fix" folder on the C drive.

4. Don't be alarmed as the 2013 folder will disappear from the Folders Panel, "Capitals Fix" will appear but all the sub-folders that were listed under 2013 will now have "?" marks.

5. Now right-click on "Capitals Fix" in the Folders Panel, and again choose "Update Folder Location". This time browse to and select the correct "LR_Library_2013" folder on the A drive. You may get a "Merge" dialog box, select "Merge" and everything should resolve itself.

6. Repeat if needed for the 2011 and 2012 year folders, though as you're likely not importing into there any longer you may not encounter the problem.

• 14. Re: Strange folder behavior

Has anything changed from that screenshot of the Folders Panel that you posted earlier? If it has, can you post a new screenshot please?

If nothing has changed, the second of the paths you provided is invalid, so can we start again? Hover the cursor over the "Digital Camera Photos" folder and wait for the full path to be displayed. Note that down carefully and exactly as it appears, paying particular attention to the case of each letter. Then repeat on the "2012" folder above the "Digital Camera Photos" folder, then post both paths back here.

• 15. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                      juliehuli Level 1

nothing has changed since then

any image I edit is saved in a different folder

I can get it back to where it should be by using the Jim wilde method but then it just starts again as soon as I edit

the 'different folders' seem to be always the same initial path

D:users\julie\pictures\Digital Camera Photos  (the one with all the photos and the one that matches the directory)

D:Users\Julie\pictures\Digital Camera Photos (the one the edits are being saved in)

• 16. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                        juliehuli Level 1

there does not seem to be a main folder for the new edits

if I edit form 2012 I get a new folder called '2012'

any other year will give another folder

• 17. Re: Strange folder behavior

That implies that your current username on your system is "Julie", and not "julie"....is that correct?

• 18. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                            juliehuli Level 1

No - the name is 'julie'

that the one where all my photos are

the Julie is just where edits are being placed in lightroom

• 19. Re: Strange folder behavior

That's not what I expected, so can you confirm? Can you show me a screenshot of the expanded Users folder on your D drive using File Explorer, please?

The problem has almost certainly been created by a change in the capitalisation of the first letter of the username when moving from the old computer to the new one. The fact that all the existing photos are listed under "julie", yet all the new images are going under "Julie", suggests that the OLD name was "julie" and the NEW name is "Julie". It is important to establish this exactly, as that affects how we fix this.

• 20. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                juliehuli Level 1

Screenshot (7).png

is this what you want?

the owner folder is empty

• 21. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                  juliehuli Level 1

if is any help I have just realised I have two catalogs in lightroom

this was unintentional and they are both have pretty much the same images

they are both 'julie'Screenshot (9).png

• 22. Re: Strange folder behavior

How many drives are there on your system? Can I see them in the left-hand panel of the Explorer window?

• 23. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                      juliehuli Level 1

Screenshot (11).png

C is for operating systems

D is for files

H is a scratch disk for PS

G is external back up

• 24. Re: Strange folder behavior

Can you expand the C drive for me, so that I can see the contents?

• 25. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                          juliehuli Level 1

the users file is empty except for 'drive' which has not been set up and creative cloud file which is also empty

Screenshot (12).png

• 26. Re: Strange folder behavior

Thanks. Can you now expand that Users folder on the C drive, then I'll try to figure out what's going on.

You mentioned a few times that the problem only occurs on edited files, do you mean photos you send to Photoshop, which come back into the different folders? What happens if you import photos on the new computer, do they go into the "normal" location or also into those outlier folders?

• 27. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                              juliehuli Level 1

Screenshot (15).png

i have not imported any files since this started to happen a few days ago.

i am trying to import now but lightroom is 'stuck'

I will try again now

• 28. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                                juliehuli Level 1

they imported correctly but when edited in PS they were saved to the wrong place again

• 29. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                                  juliehuli Level 1

I am going into photoshop through lightroom

• 30. Re: Strange folder behavior

OK, I think this a slight deviation from the usual "capitalisation" issue, which is why trying to fix it using the usual method isn't working. This time the only problem seems to be that the action of saving the edited file out of Photoshop is getting confused by the fact that the Users folder has been redirected to a non-system drive location. To be honest, I'm not sure how to fix that without moving the entire photo collection outside the users folder (which I always do, as it avoids these types of issues). Would that be an issue to you?

• 31. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                                      juliehuli Level 1

I can move it, as long as it is on the D drive I am happy

On my old computer it was outside the users folder I think

I am assuming it is ok to leave all the exported jps for printing or on line use where they are in the pictures folder?

Its just the Digital Camera photos?

Would you mind giving me some fairly explicit instructions on how to do this please.

I hope this is your day job and not a hobby. I really appreciate the time you have taken today

• 32. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                                        juliehuli Level 1

do i do this inside lightroom, or outside, and then reconnect everything?

• 33. Re: Strange folder behavior

OK, I'll knock up some instructions later today.

No, almost all of the people here do this as a hobby (though sometimes it feels like it's a full-time job!)

Can I have an Explorer view of the root directory of the 4TB drive? Just want to make sure I don't clash with anything already there when I prepare the instructions.

• 34. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                                            juliehuli Level 1

Mmmm. Whats a root directory? This? I have already made a folder there for the images to be copied to. But I can delete it if necessary.

thanks for all your assistance. I dont know where you are but its getting late here in Australia. So I may not get to the instructions until tomorrow after work.

Screenshot (17).png

• 35. Re: Strange folder behavior

Yep, that's the root. I'll do the instructions a bit later if that's OK.

I'm in the UK, and as your boys have just thrashed our boys at cricket again, I'm not sure I should be helping you any more, LOL! Only kidding, will get to it later.

• 36. Re: Strange folder behavior

Before you start, do you have an up-to-date backup of your photos, just in case something like a drive failure happens in the middle of the move? Assuming you have, then with Lightroom closed down, and working in File Explorer in that same root directory view of the 4TB drive:

In the main right-hand panel, first delete that empty "Digital Camera Photos" folder that you made earlier, as it'll be in the way when moving the real folder up to the root level.

Then expand the "users" folder to expose first "julie", then "Pictures". Now you should be able to see the real "Digital Camera Photos" folder, so click and drag that folder out of the "users" folder and into the empty space below. That should move that folder out of the current folder structure and place it at the root level of the drive.

Assuming that worked OK (it should only take a short time to complete), start Lightroom. You should see all the folders in the Folders Panel are greyed out with the "?" on them. So then right-click on the "Digital Camera Photos" folder and select "Find Missing Folder". A file browser window appears, use this to navigate to, and select, the "Digital Camera Photos" folder which is now in the root directory of the 4TB drive. That should reconnect all the folders and photos under that parent folder, leaving just those few outliers to deal with.

There are several ways to do that, but if there are still only a couple of individual files to deal with, the easiest thing is perhaps to select the first missing year folder, that'll put the photo in the grid with the exclamation mark on the thumbnail. Click on the exclamation nmark on the thumbnail and choose the option to locate the missing file. Again using the file browser, this time navigate to the sub-folder of the relevant year folder in the "Digital Camera Photos" folder, find and select the correct file. You should see the now empty year folder and it's sub-folder with a zero photo count (because the photo has now been added back to the correct sub-folder). Repeat for the other couple of "missing" images (when complete you can right-click>Remove those spurious year and sub-folders if they all have a zero photo count, which they should have).

Once all is complete, and everything looks OK again, you need to test an Edit in Photoshop operation to make sure the returned edit file is now being added to the correct folder.

Let me know if you encounter any problems with any of the above.

• 37. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                                                  juliehuli Level 1

Hi. Sorry but I cant work out how to do this.

I am unable to reply via the forum at the moment

I will attach screen shots of what I am trying to do

I click D drive then keep expanding until I get to 'pictures' but I do not

see where to drag the Digital Camera Photos folder to?

If I drag it to the empty space at the bottom nothing happens

I must be missing something I think

I will be ok once I get it there reconnecting the folders but I dont know

how to get it there.

Can I just copy and paste it there?

I am really sorry to be taking more of your time.

• 38. Re: Strange folder behavior

Sorry, my fault, those drag and drop instructions aren't very good. So try this:

When you've got to the point that you can see the "Digital Camera Photos" folder in the right-hand panel, click on it and drag it to the left-hand column over the top of the 4TB drive (before you release you should see a pop-up saying "Move to 4TB HDD"). At that point release the mouse and it should promote that folder up to the root directory level. Assuming that's OK, proceed with the rest of the instructions.

• 39. Re: Strange folder behavior
                                                                                      juliehuli Level 1

it works!!!

work and visitors meant I did not try this till today

thankyou for all your assistance and time - I am truly grateful

If I get the chance I will nobble a couple of Australian cricketers for you in thanks

1 person found this helpful
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next