4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2016 5:20 AM by JoeKostoss

Request for critique of photo [was: Technical Error]

MMLeBlanc

I two am a newbie. I understand by the comments that a technical error is under personal opinion, and i guess to get a better feel for what Adobe might be looking for I am looking for a critique of my picture to see what I can correct and better in future pics.20161001-_MGL1593.jpg

• 1. Re: Technical Error
          dj_paige Level 9

You will probably get a number of replies and a number of opinions.

My critique is that overall, I like the appearance of the image. It conveys a nice peaceful feeling of sunset on a pleasant day in a scenic location.

However, the sky, particularly in the upper left, shows what I believe to be JPG banding. If the original is a JPG, there might not be anything you can do to fix this (other than next time, shoot RAW). If the original is a RAW, then somewhere along the way you have done something wrong to cause this, although I cannot say exactly what you did.

• 2. Re: Technical Error
            MMLeBlanc Level 1

The picture was taken in raw format and I guess I have not seen this banding in which you are talking about. However I do appreciate the info and I will look into what that is. Thankyou for the reply.

• 3. Re: Technical Error
              dj_paige Level 9

Could you post a screenshot of the History Panel in the Lightroom Develop Module, for this image?

Did you use any other software on this image?

• 4. Re: Request for critique of photo [was: Technical Error]
                JoeKostoss Level 4

Rule of Thirds!  Your horizon is in the middle of the photo.  This means that you as the photographer could not decide which half is more important, sky or grass and have left it up to the viewer, which can add some stress to the viewer as he/she is trying to decide.  IMHO, the sky is the subject; the expanse of  grass in the foreground does not add to the image.  I would crop off the grass such that the horizon is near the bottom third of the photo.

I agree with di_paige on the banding.  It might be caused by setting the jpeg quality too low.

1 person found this helpful