11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2016 10:54 AM by Per Berntsen

unexpected error opening a catalog?

paull15257577

I recently had problems with update in Windows 7 64bit. Finally after numerous attempts to correct the problem I had to use system restore. Update was corrected but now I am having problems wit Lightrrom 6. I feel that the application has either been corrupted  or files are missing. The ircat. is missing. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the program and if so do I keep the original preferences?

• 1. Re: unexpected error opening a catalog?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Reinstalling Lightroom isn't going to fix the problem because the catalog is a separate file that is generated on your computer. If it has become damaged your best alternative would be to restore your most recent backup.

• 2. Re: unexpected error opening a catalog?
            paull15257577 Level 1

Jim, than you for your initial reply. If there is not a backup what would be the next step?

• 3. Re: unexpected error opening a catalog?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know of any utilities that will fix corrupted catalogs. They are database files. If your catalog is truly corrupted and you have no backups available then it seems that your only option is to start a new catalog and start over. Remember that the images are not in the catalog. The catalog simply keeps track of where the images are stored on your computer as well as any adjustments that you have made to those images.

• 4. Re: unexpected error opening a catalog?
                paull15257577 Level 1

God morning Jim,

In regard to your last reply  I cannot start a new catalog since at this time I am unable to open Lighroom 6. At this point is it necessary to uninstall and reinstall Lightroom 6? I checked and have all of my photos backed up.

Your reply is appreciated.

Paul

• 5. Re: unexpected error opening a catalog?
                  Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

To create a new catalog, click the shortcut to launch Lightroom, and immediately press and hold the Alt key.

A dialog will appear that lets you create a new catalog.

• 6. Re: unexpected error opening a catalog?
                    paull15257577 Level 1

October 13, 2016     3:50AM EST

Hello Per,

I need to request that you read the E-Mails between myself and Jim. The problem at its inception related to the need of using system restore when Windows Update developed errors that I could not correct.Prior to this time I had no difficulty opening up Lightroom 6. I assume that .icat files either became corrupted or were deleted? As I previously noted I can no longer open up Lightroom 6. My pictutre remain on my C// drive. The problem at hand is to open up Light room 6. The issue is becoming more confuseing to me. I need direction to correct this issue. Unfortunately I had not backed up the system prior to using Syste Restore. All help is appreciated'

Thank you in advance for your help.

Paul

• 7. Re: unexpected error opening a catalog?

What happens when you try to open Lightroom? Please describe in detail.

Have you done a search for catalog files on your computer?

Open Windows Explorer, click on Computer, then type .lrcat in the search box, and press Enter. (the l in.lrcat is an L - not a capital I)

If you find a catalog file, double-click it to launch Lightroom.

If this doesn't work, check if you have Lightroom installed - open the Control Panel, and click on Programs and Features, and make sure that Lightroom is listed.

If not, you may have have restored Windows back to to a point where Lightroom was not installed, in which case you will have to re- install it.

• 8. Re: unexpected error opening a catalog?
                        paull15257577 Level 1

Hello Per,

Question 1: If I left click on lightroom 6 a message opens up  "Unexpected error opening a catalog:" choices are try again, choose a different catalog. If I click on choose a different catalog a window opens headed by Adobe Photoshop Lightroom-Select Catalog then select a recent catalog to open. Under this heading is Showcase photos .Ircat, Clicking open will not open Lightroom. The other choices are create a new catalog or choose a new catalog, Prior to the problem with Update another catalog was present identified as Lightroom photos .Ircat. This file is no longer present.

Question 2: If I enter Showcase photos .Ircat in search I am able to find showcasephotos .ircat when activated presents "unexpected error opening a catalog"  same message with a left or right click. If I enter Lightroom photos .Ircat  "No message matches your search. Unable to open lightroom.

Question 3:  C:
                        Users\Paul\Pictures\--If I left click on a lightroom  folder and then right click on properties  there is a file Adobe Lightroom {.ircat} and the same holds for showcasecase folder.

Question 4:  The application is listed in Programs as Adobe Lightroom 6.6. If I recall I had updated to 6.7 before the hurricane hit.

I hope this information is of help, Thank you again for your patience and time

Paul

• 9. Re: unexpected error opening a catalog?

The  "Unexpected error opening a catalog" message usually means that the catalog is corrupt, but it also confirms that LR seems to be working. I get the impression that you don't have any backup of the catalog (hopefully you'll do backups from now on), so I suggest that you post in this thread I have a corrupted lightroom catalog and need help to repair it. where a staff member has helped some people fix corrupted catalogs.

• 10. Re: unexpected error opening a catalog?
                            paull15257577 Level 1

Hello Per,

Thank you for your reply to my recent information. If there is corruption what will be the affect of uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom 6? If this is a consideration should the preferences be removed or maintained? My pictures are present in the catalogs. Thank you for your response.

Paul

• 11. Re: unexpected error opening a catalog?

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not affect the catalog in any way - it is completely independent of the installation.

And uninstalling/reinstalling is not going to solve the problem.

My pictures are present in the catalogs.

Your pictures are not in the catalog - they are in folders on your computer, and the catalog only contains references to them.

To get a better understanding of how Lightroom works, you may find this article helpful: Lightroom basics

Again, I suggest that you post in the thread I linked to above, hopefully you can get help there to repair your catalog.