3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2016 6:50 PM by tdiakun

Canon 5d Mark IV USB problems

tdiakun

I have a new Canon 5D Mark IV and I am running Lightroom 6.7 (just updated). I shoot RAW and not jpeg.

I am having trouble importing my images via the USB.

My camera has two card slots, one for a CF and the other for an SD card.

When I have cards in both slots, Lightroom can’t find any images.

When there is a card in only one of the slots, either SD or CF but not both at the same time, Lightroom finds and imports the images perfectly.

Canon EOS utility has no trouble finding images on my cards if one or both slots are occupied.

Is there some setting I have to change in order to make Lightroom see both cards at the same time?

What am I missing?

Tom

• 1. Re: Canon 5d Mark IV USB problems
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

This is not really the response you want to hear, but you will be much happier in the long run if you are using a card reader instead of directly connecting your camera. The card readers are faster, less error prone, don't need special drivers, and don't drain your camera battery.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Canon 5d Mark IV USB problems
            JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

...and don't drain your camera battery.

I think this is the issue.  When you connect your camera, the power to view and transfer the images to your computer has to come from the camera battery.  When you use a card reader, the power comes from the computer through the USB port or from the power source on a powered hub.  With the camera, it may be that the battery power is not strong enough to power both cards at the same time, especially if the battery is partially discharged already.  So I agree with ManiacJoe on this issue; get a card reader. 

One last thing to consider when connecting the camera even if you have only 1 card in the camera; if the battery is partially discharged when you start importing and dies part way through the import, you run the risk of corrupting some of the images, not a nice thing when it happens because, according to Murphy, the best image of the night will be the very one that gets corrupted.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Canon 5d Mark IV USB problems
              tdiakun Level 1

I think I will be getting a card reader. However, I'm still trying to figure out why Lightroom won't read the data when both card slots are filled.

Im not convinced it is a power issue. The battery is fully charged and the canon software recognizes data in both slots.

Could be be a bug in the Adobe Lightroom software. I'm  hoping it is just some setting that I've missed which needs to be changed.

Any my other ideas?

Tom