2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2016 2:20 PM by ManiacJoe

Too Many .lrcat Files?

wildcarrot

Hi all,

I'm trying to clear out some hard drive space on my MacBook Pro, and I found 57 zipped files titled "Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.zip" and I'm wondering if I need to keep all of these or just the most recent file?  Excuse me if this is an ignorant question, but I'm new to Lightroom (and MacBooks), and I'm not fully familiar with how the catalogs work.

Thank you for any help or direction you can give me!!

• 1. Re: Too Many .lrcat Files?
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

"Most recent?" - Most definitely.

"All of them?"   -  No.

If you have never had catalog or file corruption then keep less.

If you have experienced corruption then the problem could also be in the backup zips, keep more.

It is a matter of balance and the ability to restore a catalog from the backups if problems arise.

These backup zips must be on a physical hard-drive that is separate from your current working catalog, and not in the folder beside the catalog where LR puts them by default for new catalogs.

Think of catalogs like that 20 chapter book you are writing in word software- would you only keep one copy of the document, or would you have backups?

• 2. Re: Too Many .lrcat Files?
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

I have LR setup to make backups on every exit. Sometimes I skip a backup, but usually do them. This means I get lots of backups.

When cleaning them out, I tend to keep the five most recent ones, for the lack of a better number.

Make sure your backups and your main catalog are being stored on different drives so that a single drive failure does not take everything with it.