3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2016 4:39 PM by D.A.R

Can I sync different photos and/or different size photos between computers?

livinmedical

I like the options offered in an app, Mylio, which allows syncing of different size files to each device registered on the account. This is great for computers with different SSD capacity and/or mobile devices with different SSD capacity. But, I'm concerned about putting all my photos there because it lacks many editing features and the interface with LR is very clunky and time-consuming.

If I use cloud syncing plan with LR and I have a Macbook Pro with 1TB storage (400GB photo library) and my wife has a much smaller SSD on her Macbook Air, can I set up syncing to send smaller versions of files (perhaps just jpg?) to her computer whereas my computers stores all files, including RAW? What about for mobile device syncing of different size files?

• 1. Re: Can I sync different photos and/or different size photos between computers?
          D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

livinmedical wrote:

If I use cloud syncing plan with LR and I have a Macbook Pro with 1TB storage (400GB photo library) and my wife has a much smaller SSD on her Macbook Air, can I set up syncing to send smaller versions of files (perhaps just jpg?) to her computer whereas my computers stores all files, including RAW? What about for mobile device syncing of different size files?

Understand the cloud syncing offered by Lightroom is between 1 catalog and mobile devices. Not between your laptop and your wife laptop.

The files that reside on your Laptop can be synced to mobile devices via selected collections. It is unlikely you would sync your entire library - space on Mobile devices being a limitation. The file that are synced to the mobile devices are smart previews - smaller versions but fully editable files.

You could send jpgs to your wife computer if you choose to do so. Know that they no longer have a relationship with your catalog. It is also done outside of Lightroom via standard networking. Export jpgs to another hard drive would be the corollary.

If on the other hand you are looking for your wife to see an exact copy of your lightroom catalog then you could simply copy the catalog and preview files to her machine - again via LAN.

If you wish for her to have editing capabilities on those files then you would need to create Smart Previews (can be done on import) before copying the catalog and preview files over.  The challenge here would be one of true synchronization. IE. I she changed files, your system would not now about it.

If you could determine and outline a denied workflow we could no doubt assist you better.

• 2. Re: Can I sync different photos and/or different size photos between computers?
            livinmedical Level 1

D.A.R. thanks for your reply. What I'd like is to import photos into LR on my computer and selectively be able to send smaller copies of these to my wife's computer as her hard drive is smaller. I'd like her computer to automatically sync photos she imports to my computer. Right now I have to manually send every photo or video to her and vice versa. I'm looking for a way to keep libraries in sync. I'd also like to be able to view these on our iPhones in smaller version so they don't take up as much space. I shoot in RAW with my 5DIII, also use an RX100 for some activities and, increasingly, use my iPhone for day to day and family photos which my wife does as well. Some solution that allows smaller size files to go to different devices would be ideal. I'm just exploring options and wondering whether LR with the mobile syncing can offer something like this.

• 3. Re: Can I sync different photos and/or different size photos between computers?
              D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

livinmedical wrote:

What I'd like is to import photos into LR on my computer and selectively be able to send smaller copies of these to my wife's computer as her hard drive is smaller.

I would export jpg files to a folder in Dropbox. Her Lightroom catalog will be able to monitor that folder and display the files. Use Dropbox's shared folder mechanism so you can both have an account.

livinmedical wrote:

I'm looking for a way to keep libraries in sync..

Not really possible. There are workarounds where a catalog can be stored in a Dropbox folder and opened on separate machines but not at the same time or within a short amount of time from one closing to the other opening. Synchronizing can be an issue and is certainly not what the Mobile sync is all about.

livinmedical wrote:

I'd also like to be able to view these on our iPhones in smaller version so they don't take up as much space. I shoot in RAW with my 5DIII, also use an RX100 for some activities and, increasingly, use my iPhone for day to day and family photos which my wife does as well.

This is what Lr Mobile is about. The versions that are viewed on the phones are smart previews. this makes them smaller but also allows full editing on the mobile devices. In order to have the same images available on both devices you would have to be using the same CC account on the phones an the Desktops. As stated earlier the images are transferred to your phone via selected collections on the desktop catalog.

You can only sync one catalog so yours will be the master for syncing purposes. If your wife took an mage with her iphone you will get it on your phone and your catalog. It would not appear in her catalog. Same if you took an image on the phone. It would appear on her phone but not in her catalog. (unless exported as described above)

livinmedical wrote:

Some solution that allows smaller size files to go to different devices would be ideal. I'm just exploring options and wondering whether LR with the mobile syncing can offer something like this.

Ultimately, its not easy to keep two catalogs in sync while having the freedom of different users add to them. I don't believe Lightroom is the solution for that. It can achieve part of what you want but not all.