2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2017 12:40 PM by jackthegiantslayer

SSD Cache deleting process very slow. Why?

ganeshgp87

When a file is previewed in After Effects, cache is generated in a Solid State Drive. When I try to delete it from there, the process is extremely slow and takes hours. But when I delete other regular files from SSD, it gets deleted really fast. Have tried various things, but unable to find a solution.

System specs: 32GB ram, i7, 2GB graphics, 1TB hard disk, 500GB SSD.

Would appreciate help on this matter! Thank you.

• 1. Re: SSD Cache deleting process very slow. Why?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

SSDs are meant for lots of small files, not large contiguous files as they typically occur when dealing with video. That's probably just the usual urban myths on the web and Adobe's own misleading advice biting your behind, give or take specific issues with your device drivers of course. Either way, your info is too generic to advise specifically. Start by checking your device manager for potential issues and then investigate further...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: SSD Cache deleting process very slow. Why?
            jackthegiantslayer Level 1

I just made the unfortunate mistake of cleaning the disk cache after having some hiccups in my preview, now it's freaking saying it is going to take over an hour to do so, while it holds my machine and After Effects hostage the whole excruciating time. Had I known it would take this long I would have saved my document so I could force quit. Seriously Adobe, this should be a BACKGROUND TASK. (As should rendering at this point, but goodness knows we won't see any practical updates coming down the line, just more stupid additions we didn't ask for.)