5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 10:04 AM by ccmoss

Lightroom stopped importing pictures and won't recognize cards anymore!

Merrie6

I was in the middle of importing my pics from the SD card and was humming along and all of the sudden lightroom stopped and gave me the following info: "The following files were not imported because they c...not  be read or the destination folder is not writable." This happens with multiple cards. Is there a cache problem? Can I safely empty the caches? What happened? I have plenty of room on my mac and can import the photos into the photos app.

• 1. Re: Lightroom stopped importing pictures and won't recognize cards anymore!
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Exactly what is says-

the destination folder is not writable.

The "Destination" folder must have Read/Write permissions.

In the import dialog- You do know the destination folder where you are saving your files? Does it have 'Write' permission?

Another possibility- the destination drive suddenly became disconnected (An external usb drive? )

Is there enough physical space on the drive to save the files?

• 2. Re: Lightroom stopped importing pictures and won't recognize cards anymore!
            Merrie6 Level 1

I had taken 4 shoots prior to the last one (on the same card) and successfully imported the photos into a collection at the same time I imported them into Lightroom. So the last series of photos, I did the same thing: made a collection and went to import them, also assigning key words to each shot. The last round stopped working. Later in the day I "copied" some test photos into Lightroom, and now, even tho I can see the photos in the film strip, Lightroom says "The file could not be found." I have plenty of room and have not changed the destination folder. And if it had Write permissions for the files before, what would have changed to deny any more write permissions?

Thanks, wobertc, for your time helping me figure this out. I have an important shoot coming up and need Lightroom (or me) to behave. M

• 3. Re: Lightroom stopped importing pictures and won't recognize cards anymore!
              JoeKostoss Level 4

Merrie6 wrote:

...Later in the day I "copied" some test photos into Lightroom...

You don't copy photos into Lightroom, you copy them to a Destination Folder either on your computer Hard Drive or onto an External Hard Drive. Information about the photos are then imported into the Lightroom Library.  Check the read/write permissions on that Destination Folder (and the parent Folders) as suggested above.

• 4. Re: Lightroom stopped importing pictures and won't recognize cards anymore!
                wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Merri6

You are getting into multiple questions and problems with your last post. I will address some of the topics-

"Collections"- You speak of these as if they were your entire import of all your images. They need not be as all the images will be referenced in the Folder panel of LR. And you do not need to create collections at the time of import at all. Keep your use of Lightroom Collections for gathering together special images for a special purpose, like a book, or slideshow, etc. After importing images into the Lightroom catalog you are looking at previews- the image files are NOT in the catalog.

What do you mean by- "made a collection and went to import them"  ?  A Lightroom 'Collection' can only be created within Lightroom after you have imported (or set as an option in the import dialog)

I "copied" some test photos into Lightroom,

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this. Do you mean you imported previews to the catalog by using the "Add" option in the import dialog?

The file could not be found.

This also has nothing to do with Importing or getting previews of your images into Lightroom.

This error message will appear if you have used the operating system to do anything like- re-name a file, move a file, delete a file, (or re-name, move, delete,  folders.) Doing any of these things breaks the database link in Lightroom so it no longer knows where your images are. You will still see the previews in Lightroom, but the link to the files has been broken.

have not changed the destination folder

You may not have knowingly changed, but did you check in the Destination panel to confirm the folder you are importing to?

And confirmed that folder has full Read/write permissions? Automatic upgrades to software and operating systems can change permissions (especially in Mac systems!). Were you trying to import to the camera card as a destination?

4 shoots prior to the last one

My advice would be to limit the camera card to one shoot and follow a procedure like this-

1. Import all images on the card (from the one shoot) into the LR catalog, confirming the folder destination, and you have copied all images from the card..

2. Immediately make a backup of the images to a separate physical drive.

3. Return the card to the camera and do a card format. (Fresh and clean ready for the next shoot)

This always avoids any concern about importing duplicates, it makes selecting 'all' images in the import dialog a simple exercise.

Sorry for the long response, but keep the questions coming if you are having troubles.

• 5. Re: Lightroom stopped importing pictures and won't recognize cards anymore!
                  ccmoss

I was having the same problem. The import destination was displayed as the correct destination. When I went to change the import destination, the dialog showed the destination as "\" - which was not the displayed destination. I reset it to the correct destination and the import proceeded correctly.