6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2016 2:32 PM by ashleyg28659884

Export and replace photos but keep file name.

ashleyg28659884

Lightroom 6

I have a batch of 88 images that have been edited and saved to my hard drive and each  file has a custom name. I have now added a copyright preset to all of these images.I would like to  replace the images on the hard drive and keep the custom names. Is there a way I can do this in bulk because for good reason I don't want to do this one by one!

• 1. Re: Export and replace photos but keep file name.
          dj_paige Level 9

If the custom name is unique to each photo, and doesn't have a pattern that can be reproduced, then you probably cannot do this using Lightroom, except to export each photo one by one and provide the unique file name.

A better workflow would be to not rename the photos at all, to use Metadata such as keywords and captions to embed the information in the exported file (and then any other photographic program plus your operating system can access this metadata).

If you must rename, then renaming the photo in Lightroom's Library Module would have allowed you to do another export and overwrite the exported photos. Renaming in your operating system always breaks the connection between Lightroom and the photo.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export and replace photos but keep file name.
            ashleyg28659884 Level 1

Thanks for that, I had feeling that would be the case. I do like to do custom names, so in future I will try to rename them in the library module before I edit them. I'll also look at the Metadata and keywords but I can't see that being the way I prefer to work.

• 3. Re: Export and replace photos but keep file name.
              dj_paige Level 9

I will try to rename them in the library module before I edit them.

If you are going to use Lightroom effectively, you need to immediately stop managing the photos using your operating system, cold turkey, no more, not even once.

I'll also look at the Metadata and keywords but I can't see that being the way I prefer to work.

There are so many advantages to using metadata, I don't know where to begin.

• 4. Re: Export and replace photos but keep file name.
                ashleyg28659884 Level 1

I just found a quick fix just for the saved files where I wanted to update the Metadata.

I did a right click on the image and went to save Metadata to file which seems to have done the trick.

• 5. Re: Export and replace photos but keep file name.
                  richardplondon Level 4

ashleyg28659884 wrote:

I just found a quick fix just for the saved files where I wanted to update the Metadata.

I did a right click on the image and went to save Metadata to file which seems to have done the trick.

Yes, that will work if you have exported copies of your images and had LR import those copies back into the Catalog (alongside your original master images). Having found those export copies and updated their metadata (copyright) and then written that.

Otherwise, you are writing metadata to the originally imported files and not to exported versions of your files.

But this would mean having and managing two different and independent images within the same catalog, which many people prefer not to do.

The usual method is to maintain just one master image and make fresh exports / publish updates as needed, for a given purpose (the exported copies themselves being in effect just ephemeral / disposable / replaceable). This of course raises the issue of repeatability / updating so far as file name for the export: not only when you've updated metadata but also if you've altered the Develop processing and want to refresh the external copy to suit that - which cannot be achieved just by writing metadata.

And IMO the best way to overcome that, is to have your export file naming derive systematically from some attribute(s) of the master image. For example, you could use individualised Title metadata on the images, as part of an automatic file naming SYSTEM - perhaps combined with the capture date or the numerical part of the starting filename as applied by the camera, or whatever.

Then a later update for the same master image, employing the same method (as encapsulated into an export preset or Publish setup) will naturally lead to the same filename being generated - and if you permit this to happen, the earlier export / Publish will be overwritten.

• 6. Re: Export and replace photos but keep file name.
                    ashleyg28659884 Level 1

My Master image is a RAW file and in this case I have only put the updated Metadata to the Jpeg  I made for the edit.