1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 9, 2016 1:00 AM by wobertc

Missing Files, can't locate them through the locate button.

haleyr68219476

I am a photographer and I use Lightroom as my main editing program. Each time I have a session, I upload my pictures pictures into lightroom and edit them before sending them to the people. I have never had to do anything else with them. Today after a session, I uploaded the pictures before heading to another session. I erased all the pictures from the card for my next session. When I got home, it showed the session I had uploaded had missing files. I tried to use the locator step, but that won't work since they are no longer on the card. I have never had this happen before and I really need those pictures back. Is there anyway to get them back?

• 1. Re: Missing Files, can't locate them through the locate button.
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Is there anyway to get them back?

A lot depends on what happened to the image files.

The "Find missing images" function does not automatically find them for you. You have to know where the files are and point LR to their new location/name.

The files or folder could have been-  deleted, using Finder or File Explorer. The first place to look would be in Trash / Recycle Bin- if found then restore.

If they were moved or re-named (files or folders) in the OS- then you will need to search the OS for the files by file-name and then help LR re-link to their 'new' location/name. Reply with details if you can find them with the OS.

The disaster scenarios are- if you accidentally imported the images back onto the camera card and now have re-formatted that

or they have been totally deleted from your computer. Only recovering the files from a backup will help in these situations (or using file recovery programs {Recuva, etc}.

It may also be possible to use a plug-in to export small jpg files created from the previews that still exist in LR

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Extract Cached Image Previews” Lightroom Plugin