6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 4:53 AM by Laubender

Character / Paragraph styles exactly the same, but appear totally different.

michaelt98651456

Hi Friends,

I'm running InDesign CS5.5 on a HP/Envy dv7 PC. Some time ago a friend set up a template for the body pages of my magazine. I've been using that same template now for a few years, but it is no longer working for a new file. When I try to repopulate the article sites with new text, they list as the same specs as the old template (specifically, Font: Crimson Text, Font Size 10.5, Leading 12.5) but the results are completely different. I am confounded as to why. Attached are three images.

The first is how I want it to look - in the established template.
      The second is how it opens when the document is renamed and saved for my next issue. Also, to presume a question, I've tried packaging the file so I'm pulling from a direct fonts source in the same file as the document.)

The third is the best I've been able to do with by copy and pasting text from an InDesign file  / or importing text from another file (or Word / Google doc) and then reentering the font, font size and leading values.

What am I missing? This is confounding.

Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

InDesignPreferedLayout.PNGInDesignOpenedAsNewFile.PNGInDesignValuesEnteredInNewFile.PNG

• 1. Re: Character / Paragraph styles exactly the same, but appear totally different.
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Unfortunately, your screen shots don't provide any information about the text itself, so all I can really see is the font size might be different, and the tracking seems to have changed.

It sounds like you are "recycling" your issues by doing a save as on an old issue and making changes to create the new issue instead of opening the template file and starting from that for each new issue. The former can lead not only to a build-up of file corruptions and ultimate file failure, but also can cause strange formatting when you replace text if there was a local formatting override applied in the older text.

• 3. Re: Character / Paragraph styles exactly the same, but appear totally different.
            michaelt98651456 Level 1

Thank you Peter and thank yo Frans.

In the screen shots I tried to include (and they do appear on my screen) the tool bars at the top. The font, font size and leading values are all the same in each different presentation. That's largely why I'm confused. I keep looking for some other "advanced" setting or some other value that needs to be changed so that I can make the necessary adjustments, but I just don't know where to look.

Frans, I just tried (and maybe succeeded...?) in removing the local formatting by going to

Edit > Find and Change > Find Format / Change Format > Change All.

That advice came from a tutorial and I have no idea what the incantation meant. I just did it. I have no idea if did anything inside the program, but the results didn't get any better.

Still, thank you both very much for your time and input. Any other ideas would be deeply appreciated.

All the best,

Mike

• 4. Re: Character / Paragraph styles exactly the same, but appear totally different.
              Dale Wilcox Level 1

Have you checked the kerning & tracking? Also on the second image the fonts in the text look slightly off. Like maybe its a slightly heavier weight to it, also the kerning & tracking is horrible. I would start with checking your styles and see if the kerning may have switched from optical to metric or vice versa. Also play with the tracking. I know whenever you do Justified type its a nightmare and an arduous process of manual tracking to get the type to look good.

Also you noted that your friend set up the template. I would ask him/her if they manually kerned & tracked the type to look good.

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 10.48.33 PM.jpg

• 5. Re: Character / Paragraph styles exactly the same, but appear totally different.
                michaelt98651456 Level 1

Dale!

Thanks, amigo. I'll take a look at that. Sorry I haven't responded earlier, I've been buried in other work and found what is likely a work around, though I will still look into establishing a new template with my friend's help for future issues. Essentially, what I discovered is that things got funky when I was opening the file outside of the "packaging" folder. I'm not exactly sure why that makes a difference, but it does. Hence, by packaging the old file from the previous issue with a new edition number, I keep whatever internal dynamics were creating the well balanced font, kerning and leading figures my friend had originally established. Still, I'm going to look into your suggestions now and deeply appreciate everyone who took the time to help me with this problem.

All the best,

M

• 6. Re: Character / Paragraph styles exactly the same, but appear totally different.
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Michael,

the difference may be the installed and used fonts.

If you are using a packaged InDesign document InDesign will use the fonts in the "Document fonts" folder.
                  If you first duplicate the document to a different place in your file system outside of the packaged folder where the "Document fonts" folder lies, InDesign will use the fonts of its own "Fonts" folder or the fonts installed system wide.

So I'd hunt down the specific version number of the used fonts vs. the ones in the "Document fonts" folder.

Could be different and therefore automatic pagination could be different using less or more space for one individual character and line of text.

Regards,
                  Uwe