9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 8:05 AM by Pavel Homeriki

Changing Blending Mode in Muse / Difference between Muse & Xd

Ahisa71 Level 1

Hello, I just started using Muse and I have a few questions.

1. I am having trouble finding a way to change the blending mode in Muse. Like in Photoshop and Illustrator, I thought I could set it to Multiply, Overlay, etc, but I was only able to find opacity setting but nothing else. I thought this person below, had the same question, so I followed the answer and purchased Blend Modes widget from Muse Supply, but it doesn't have the setting I was looking for. This widget only allows me to select two or more items and set the blend modes with them. (Like, selecting an image and color) What I am trying to do is just simply change the blending mode of a single shape. For example, I have a rectangular shape and I want it to be "multiply" mode, so the background image will show through it.

Blend Modes in Muse CC

2. Another question, I purchased BackBlend as well, because I thought it is the widget to solve my problem, but this one doesn't do it either. But it seems like an interesting tool, so I am keeping it, but I have no idea how to use it. Anyone knows how to use it? There is no user manual on the site. !

3. Is it possible to open what I made with Muse in Dreamweaver and make changes there? Or is there any other way I can make changes to the Muse file with more flexibility?

4. Oh, and what is the difference between Muse and Experience Design? I saw some tutorials of both of them but still haven't figured out the difference.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to learn them now!

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Changing Blending Mode in Muse / Difference between Muse & Xd
          Günter Heißenbüttel Adobe Community Professional

1. Muse doesn't support blend modes, because blend modes are not supported by actual browsers

2. ?

3. You can open the Muse output files (not the .muse file itself), in Dreamweaver, but this is not the intended workflow. Changes you make there, are not part of your Muse document and will be overwritten during the next export.

4. Experience Design is no application to create web sites, it is an application to create user interfaces and application/website blueprints.

• 2. Re: Changing Blending Mode in Muse / Difference between Muse & Xd
            Ahisa71 Level 1

Thanks for your reply!
            1. That is too bad, because I like using blending modes but I understand that the browsers don't support that...
            3. I see. OK that makes sense.
            4. So I guess it's like the "plan" mode of Muse? I'll check into that.

• 3. Re: Changing Blending Mode in Muse / Difference between Muse & Xd
              Ahisa71 Level 1

So is the Xd same as creating screenshot of website pages in Photoshop, Illustrator, etc? But it's just easier to organize, share, etc? What you create in Xd is just screenshots of website pages and they don't work online, correct? So if they don't work online, you are making all those designs of the website pages in Xd but you have to re-create the same thing using Muse or Dreamweaver again??? That doesn't sound right, but I still don't really understand how it works.. What are the main points of using Xd?

• 4. Re: Changing Blending Mode in Muse / Difference between Muse & Xd

Don't simply think of web sites, but of applications. They need an appearance, they need structure, they need content and a user interface. All that you can manage, wireframe, organize, export with Experience.

If this isn't clear for you, you definitely won't need Experience.

• 5. Re: Changing Blending Mode in Muse / Difference between Muse & Xd
                  Ahisa71 Level 1

Yes it sounds like it's not something I need. What I am trying to make is more simple. Also, it sounds like Xd is used by a designer before a developer makes the actual site / app. That's not really what I am doing, so you are right, I don't need it. Thanks anyway!

• 6. Re: Changing Blending Mode in Muse / Difference between Muse & Xd
                    Pavel Homeriki Adobe Community Professional

Ahisa71 написал(а):

Thanks for your reply!
                    1. That is too bad, because I like using blending modes but I understand that the browsers don't support that...

Additional clarification: The reason is not even that browsers do not support... The reason is that Muse is not inherently graphic editor

• 7. Re: Changing Blending Mode in Muse / Difference between Muse & Xd
                      Ahisa71 Level 1

Hello, thanks for getting back to me with additional info. OK I see. It makes me wonder if they will make one software that would do everything... Or, they will make a file type that supports everything...

Oh by the way, do you know if it is possible to convert Muse file to html?

I did some searching and I know that Muse file can be converted to html file. Can we do the opposite? I read a thread asking this question, and the answer was no, but that thread is dated in 2014. And it seems like the user posted a request to add the feature to Muse. So I am wondering if it is possible now after 2 years...

If that's not possible, what's the best way to work with a client who doesn't have Muse? I know I have to make it html to give it to her but I want to use Muse again when I need to make updates.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 8. Re: Changing Blending Mode in Muse / Difference between Muse & Xd

1. Muse’s output is HTML. Use menu "File/Export as HTML", and you have all HTML/CSS and other files on your disk.

2. Converting HTML to .muse isn’t possible. Muse is a web layout application, just as InDesign is a print layout application. If you export an InDesign document to PDF X3, will you be able to re-import it into InDesign to work on? Never! And just the same happens with Muse and HTML. So, only if 2 persons have Muse, they will be able to cooperate.

3. You say "It makes me wonder if they will make one software that would do everything... Or, they will make a file type that supports everything". It is not a question of "software" alone. You have to consider the output problems as well. This hopefully will never happen! And if: Do you really think, you would be able to use – or pay – a dinosaur software "that would do everything"? Do you really think, a software company would be able to develop, maintain and debug such a monster?

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Changing Blending Mode in Muse / Difference between Muse & Xd
                          Pavel Homeriki Adobe Community Professional

In such cases, I always give an example - When you go diving, you put on flippers. When you climb Mount Everest, you put on climbing boots with spikes. You never would think to put on flippers with spikes, when you climb Mount Everest

1 person found this helpful