20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 12:45 PM by jacquese59551944

Elements 15: Which project setting?

bjtap

I am having a few problems with Premiere Elements 15, but lets take one step at a time.

I don't seem able to find a project setting that does not give the yellow line upon adding a file into a new project (info on file below).. I have tried several project settings: dv, hdv, avchd etc. So which project setting should I use? (Thanks)

Also: Doesn't premiere elements set the project settings based on the first added video file?

from MediaInfo:

General

Complete name                            : C:\Users\Barry\Desktop\Canyon de Chelly 03_steady.mp4

Format                                   : MPEG-4

Format profile                           : Base Media

Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)

File size                                : 1.81 MiB

Duration                                 : 7 s 488 ms

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Overall bit rate                         : 2 029 kb/s

Writing application                      : Lavf54.63.104

Video

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : High@L3

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames

Codec ID                                 : avc1

Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding

Duration                                 : 7 s 441 ms

Bit rate                                 : 1 933 kb/s

Width                                    : 720 pixels

Height                                   : 480 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 3:2

Frame rate mode                          : Constant

Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS

Standard                                 : NTSC

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.187

Stream size                              : 1.71 MiB (94%)

Writing library                          : x264 core 129

Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=8 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1933 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.41 / aq=1:1.00

Audio

ID                                       : 2

Format                                   : AAC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec

Format profile                           : LC

Codec ID                                 : 40

Duration                                 : 7 s 488 ms

Duration_FirstFrame                      : 96 ms

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 109 kb/s

Maximum bit rate                         : 128 kb/s

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L R

Sampling rate                            : 32.0 kHz

Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1024 spf)

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Stream size                              : 99.2 KiB (5%)

Default                                  : Yes

Alternate group                          : 1

• 1. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?
          whsprague Adobe Community Professional

What is the camera you are using?   I'm not smart enough to read the mediainfo!

The process should be:

1.  Open a project

2.  Add Media

3.  Drop a primary clip on the timeline and the project should set itself. 

If you are using a different sequence, what is it?

Good luck!

Bill

• 2. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?
            bjtap Level 1

Thanks for the reply Bill,

The steps you list is exactly what I do. When I go to project settings it indeed does set itself. In this case to DV NTSC, frame size 720x480, and display format 30fps drop-frame time code. These seem to be right-on. BUT: the yellow (gold) line still appears showing it needs rendering AND if I select shake reduction I get message "Shake Reduction requires clip dimensions to match project settings. Create a new project". (Hopefully this is another clue as to the problem).

(I mentioned in my original post other problems. Well, one is the sound attached to the video is distorted in v15, but NOT in v14. And to confuse the issue more, I get the same yellow line in v14). Don't know if these are related to project settings or not.

Barry

• 3. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?

What is the source of the video?  Is it a camera?

• 4. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?
                bjtap Level 1

It was a SONY Hi8mm camcorder. (I no longer have it, only the tapes).

Barry

• 5. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?

You have relatively old footage and relatively new software aimed at newer cameras.  The codec id is "isom".  That quickly puts me in over my knowledge level. 

Other than shake reduction, can you successfully edit your video?  The yellow line does not have to disappear.  It is only an indication that previewing may be less than smooth. 

Another approach might me using a utility like Handbrake to convert the "old" footage to something manageable in Premier Elements.  Again, I'm in past my knowledge level.

I hope someone else can help.

• 6. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I think Bill is at the heart of the issue. The isom codec creates an alternative form of MP4 called an MP4 version 2 -- which is quite often not compatible with the same programs as traditional MP4s.

Sony Hi8 camcorders were analog camcorders, so the video from them could not be captured into a computer without some sort of digitizing device (or if they were captured from a backwards compatible Digital8 camcorder). Apparently you used a device to capture this video that digitized it into this odd format.

You may be able to salvage the video by running it through Handbrake, a free download. Set Handbrake up to output your video as a 720x480 MP4 with a constant frame rate. This output should load right into Premiere Elements.

Assuming you've got all the system requirements, of course, including Quicktime 7.

• 7. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?
                      bjtap Level 1

Bill and Steve,

Thanks for your input. I ran a video through HandBrake and that eliminated the 'yellow' line and the 'shake'; problem.

Now I will decide whether I want to 'handbrake' my hundreds of files as the 'originals' work in my other editing programs w/o converting. Again thanks to both of you for your time and effort.

Now onto the other problem mentioned. All audio, i.e. from my original video or music scores directly from Premiere comes out distorted. It sounds like 'a machine gun' type of distortion. (That's the best description I can summon up... kind of like the sound gets louder and softer very quickly with a throbbing low frequency sound). THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN PREMIERE ELEMENTS V14!

Any thoughts on this. Is there a preference setting I can change. (I tried already but have not been able to eliminate the distorded audio).

Thanks again,

Barry

• 8. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?

Does this also happen with the video you output from Handbrake?

• 9. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?
                          bjtap Level 1

Thanks Steve,

Yes it does. A handbrake video works properly in V14 but NOT in V15.

I can also add using the handbrake video: when I run shake reduction in V15 the video stutters also... both before and after rendering. Again this does NOT happen in V14.

Please don't overlook that this happens with premier's own music which leads me to believe it is not my original source video. (FWIW: Not only do I not have this problem in Premier Elements 14, I don't have it in any of my 4 other video editing programs). All this leads me to believe it is in the coding of version 15 or I have to change a  preference somewhere in version 15.

• 10. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?

I don't know why this would happen, bjtap.

It might be worth getting on Adobe Customer Care via Chat and seeing if they can figure it out.

Contact Customer Care

• 11. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?
                              bjtap Level 1

Thanks Steve,

Followed your link to  customer support and I was offered one choice: COMMUNITY HELP.

Kind of leaves a bad taste.

But I do appreciate your efforts Steve.

Barry

• 12. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?

Did you select the Chat option?

• 13. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?

Steve Grisetti wrote:

I don't know why this would happen, bjtap.

This is a wild guess.  Prior to 15, Quicktime was required for some codecs that came with from Apple.   Adobe needed to end reliance on Apple provided codecs.  15 no longer requires Quicktime and may not "know" to look for them.  Could it be that a codec or something related to codecs is present in 14 that's not in 15?  Could it be that the output from Handbrake needs a codec not seen by 15?

• 14. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?
                                    bjtap Level 1

Steve: I did not see any 'chat' option. Going through the menu selections just leads me to a screen saying there is no phone support and the only support is from the community.

whsprague: thanks for the reply. If this is the case (not looking for apple codecs) then it appears v15 cannot be used by me. My original files and my handshaked files both. Besides, how would the codec affect using premier's own music?  That is the one that stumps me the most. Would Premier's own music files look  for an apple codec if it is not supported anymore?

Admittedly I am no expert so any input you guys give is really appreciated.

Thanks again to all... Barry

• 15. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?
                                      bjtap Level 1

Steve: I did find the chat option. It says:

Your contact options

Chat

24 hours a day, 7 days a week

but: I cannot select it in any way. I click and double click on all the words and the little picture and nothing happens. I will try again later but if chat is availabel 24 hours a day and 7 days a week....?

• 16. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?

Barry,

Again, I'm guessing because I not entirely sure what you are doing and how you are doing it. 

If you are creating a project in one version of Premier Elements and then opening it in another version, it is expected there will be challenges.  Historically, Premier Elements development has not included the ability to open projects from previous versions.  

The solution for those that want to continue working on old projects is to keep the version of Elements that created those projects installed for that purpose.  Having multiple versions on the same computer does not cause conflicts.

Good luck!

Bill

• 17. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?

Maybe they need a help desk to help you access the help desk.  

• 18. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?
                                            bjtap Level 1

OK people. I was able to get through to the chat room. (Mozilla firefox would not allow it but Edge did).

Just spent over an hour with them and they could not fix the problem even with taking over my computer.

They told me that my video files were bad.... but when I sent them a file they said it worked fine there. (So it is not the file).

They never could tell me why the audio worked in V14 but not in V15.

So it appears that something on my computer (and they did check for this) is interfering. Any ideas?

Unless someone else can  suggest something it appears I cannot use Premiere Elements v15 at all... but I certainly do appreciate all the feedback you guys sent.

Thanks... Barry

• 19. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?

Barry,

I am very much an ameteur.  I wish I could help more, but I have no idea what to suggest.

Bill

• 20. Re: Elements 15: Which project setting?
                                                jacquese59551944

Hi

What I ended up doing was:

1. Created a new project and under "change settings" chose a video ratio that is close to my video clip's ratio.

2. Imported the video into this new project and resized it slightly as to fill up the entire project frame.

3. Exported this video.

4. Created a new project with the same dimensions as before and imported my newly created clip. Shake Reduction then worked.

Good Luck