10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2016 6:06 PM by Just Shoot Me

After a power surge I cannot find lightroom

michellel69134803

After a power surge yesterday I shut down my computer.  When I opened it back up Lightroom said it had some kind of error and need to close.  After that I was not able to open lightroom again.  Everything seems to be gone????  When I go in the finder and click on the lightroom symbol it asked me to "try a free trial" of lightroom.  I am panicking right now because this is my full time job and so many pictures are in Lightroom.  Please help if you can!! Thank you

• 1. Re: After a power surge I cannot find lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

Can you give us the exact wording of the error?

Can you give us the exact wording of the "try a free trial" message? Or show us a screen capture? Are you using the exact same Lightroom icon when you get this message as you used before?

• 2. Re: After a power surge I cannot find lightroom
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Please give the details of what you are calling a Power Surge. And how did you shut down your computer?

Your images are not "IN" LR. They are on your hard drive someplace. So you still, or you should still, have them.

When the window comes up to use the Free Trial does it also give you the option to sign in and or enter a serial number?

First thing you should do once this gets straightened out, or even sooner, is to buy a UPS (a Battery Backup System) so this won't happen again.

• 3. Re: After a power surge I cannot find lightroom
              michellel69134803 Level 1

We are in North Carolina,  hurricane Matthew was just beginning.  The power flickered in the house and my computer turned off.  I restarted the computer  and lightroom had some error message about lightroom having a fatal error.  I went ahead and shut my computer down hoping when I turned it back on everything would be ok.  When I turned it on, everything was ok except for Lightroom.  When I try to open it I get what appears to be asking me to be a new user and doing a free trial instead of recognizing me. 

• 4. Re: After a power surge I cannot find lightroom

So what you had was a brief loss of power which made the computer stop, turn off. Even if it was less than a second of a flicker computers that aren't using a USP (Uninterruptible Power Supply, Batter Backup system) will just turn off.

When that happens things get corrupted on the hard drive. your best bet is to uninstall LR, if you can and since you are on a Mac maybe just Delete LR from the Applications folder, then reinstall fresh and clean. The Catalog file shouldn't of been affected, hopefully.

So once you reinstall LR all you have to do is find and open the catalog file. At the worst there will be a .LOCK file in the same folder as the catalog and all you have to do is delete that .lock file

But I would still check the drive for errors using Disk Utility found in the Utilities folder in Applications. And then go out and buy a UPS. No desktop computer should be without one.

• 5. Re: After a power surge I cannot find lightroom

I am terrified to delete anything at this point when I have no idea what I am really doing.  I am not a tech person AT ALL and this situation has me frantic to be honest.  Is there any way you could call me?? I am happy to call you too.  (promise I am not some weirdo)  910-233-2269

• 6. Re: After a power surge I cannot find lightroom
                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Michelle.... don't delete anything!!!

First of all you need to quote exactly the error messages that appear when you try and open Lightroom.

Also what is your OS and where is your catalog stored (locally or on an external drive).

Which version of Lightroom are you using......

Don't panic!! You will get sorted....

• 7. Re: After a power surge I cannot find lightroom

I know you are going to die laughing at this, but I don't have any idea what any of that means.  I think I am using Lightroom CC (5 maybe).  I store all of my images that I download to my external hard drive.   I used to have a great computer guy who set up all of my stuff and checked on it occasionally to be sure everything was ok.  He has since left the state, but everything has been fine up until now.  I wish I could give you more info. but this is all I have.  I cannot figure out where my current version of lightroom is or how to get it back.  As far as the error message goes, it asked me if I wanted to send the message to adobe which I did.  It then sent me a message back that said it had no suggestions on a repair.  Thats it!

• 8. Re: After a power surge I cannot find lightroom

In Finder use Spotlight, the Mac search feature, to search for .lock (that is a .(DOT) and the word lock). If you find one Delete it. Don't be afraid just Delete it (Move it to the Trash). Then try opening LR.

• 9. Re: After a power surge I cannot find lightroom

Ok, when I searched via .lock I did find something that has ALL of my images (thousands) in what appears to be the exact same window as the typical import window when I initially bring photos in to lightroom via a memory card. So, it appears that I could "select all" then click "import" and it would import into Lightroom.  Pretty sure this is not what  I am supposed to do.  I cannot tell you how thankful I am that I have found these images but now I am even more scared to click on anything in case I delete it again.  What do you think my next step should be?

• 10. Re: After a power surge I cannot find lightroom

Maybe we are not talking about the same thing.

When you click to open LR does it open? If not what is the exact error message that comes up on the screen. We need to know that error message.