13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 5:44 AM by Teri Bloom

Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H

Teri Bloom Level 1

Hi!

I back-up my catalogs about once or twice a week, and have alot of extras that I'd like to delete if they aren't needed and are old.

I believe we have to save the original and the latest catalogs but can delete the ones in between?  Would be grateful for confirmation of this.  I'm on a Mac, thanks!  

• 1. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You can safely delete all the old backup catalog files.

They will be in a folder called Backups but if you changed the settings from the default location the folder they are in is something only you would know.

Never ever delete image files outside of LR, IE using Finder.

When you say you backup the catalog once or twice a week are you doing that manually by copying the real catalog file to some other folder? LR has a built in backup system that is set by default to backup the catalog file once a week. Note this system only backs up the LR catalog file and not any of your images.

• 2. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H
            Teri Bloom Level 1

Thanks -- when I quit LR I hit the save button... These seem be be stored on my Mac here:  Pictures > lightroom 2016 > and then I see the list of backups by date as well as the 8 years of folders...  I believe I was told to never delete the oldest first catalog, so just clarifying that... thanks so much!

• 3. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H

What exact version of LR are you using. Go to Help About PS LR and post the exact version number.

Older versions, 5 and before, stored the backups by copying the catalog file as it is. With version CC 2015/6 the backups are Zipped to save space and the file name ends with .lrcat.zip.

I'm using Windows but the backup dialog windows doesn't have a Save button. It does have a Back up button. Where are you seeing this Save button.

• 4. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H
                Teri Bloom Level 1

Hi,  Thanks "Just shoot me" so much for trying to help me with this!

However, it would be easier if there is someone here who knows the Mac... I'm on LR v. 6.6

As mentioned in my Pictures folder I have my catalogs saved and I have over 10-15 catalogs so would like to delete some of the older ones as I don't need so many...

I think Tech Support had said to always keep the oldest catalog since its the original, and also the newest and that it was OK to delete the rest of the catalogs.  This is what I'm trying to find out -- which catalogs to delete when I have so many that aren't needed... Thanks so much for your help!  best, Teri

• 5. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H

Please show a screen shot of the folder that holds those catalog files.

Do the older catalog files end in .zip?

Do you have a folder called Backups?

Did you ever change the Default location where LR saves its backups.

What do you mean by the Oldest catalog.

• 6. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H
                    Teri Bloom Level 1

thanks -- wanted to attach this screen shot before but wasn't sure I could -- thanks again!

catalog.jpg

• 7. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H
                      Teri Bloom Level 1

yes, they save as a zip within each of these folders --

Adobe tech support in India had me set up the system this way by placing the LR folder within User Pictures folder... so they are not in a back-ups folder but here.

thanks again for your help "Just shoot me"!

• 8. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H

What is inside one of those folders that have a Date and Time as the file name, 2016-9-23 (Date) 1637 (Time in 24 hour mode)?

Is there a file ending with .zip? There should be although there are reports that on some Mac computers LR isn't compressing the catalog backup into a ZIP file. All those Date and Time named folders are LR backups. They can all be deleted except the most current, the 2016-10-9 1501, just to have the most current backup of the catalog file.

As to the other folders named LR_2008 I have no idea what they are (you tell me what they are).

As to the date and time folders.

It looks like you have several that are dated on the same day, with different times, and some that are one to four days apart. That is not normal as LR is set by default to backup once a week and has options to do the backups once a day, once a month, every time LR exits, on the next exit of LR and never.

So it seems you are doing manual backups, sometimes 3 times a day, using the option when LR next exits or you have it set to Every time LR exits and then you close LR down and restart it.

Let me say doing all those backups and storing them on the only internal drive of your Mac isn't going to help you if that hard drive fails or becomes corrupted in some way. If that happens LR the program, all your images, the main catalog file and all your backups will be gone.

• 9. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H
                          Teri Bloom Level 1

When LR is quitting, I'm asked if I want to do a back-up and I say yes or no.

I do back-ups when I've done alot of work which are why there are some on the same day.

I choose to do backups manually, not automatically.

Each saved catalog has a zip called:  LR_Catalog-3-2.lrcat

The folders LR_2008 through LR_2016 are how I have my photos arranged by year.  So the catalog is backing up all my folders between 2008 and 2016.

Its really this simple -- I have multiple catalogs saved over recent months all with zip folders inside and I'd like to delete what's not needed.  And I do back up the catalog on an external hard drive.

So the question is -- should I save the first created catalog with earliest date and the latest catalog and delete the rest?  I believe that's what Tech Support in India instructed but can't remember... thanks so much!

• 10. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H
                            JoeKostoss Level 4

Teri Bloom wrote:

Its really this simple -- I have multiple catalogs saved over recent months all with zip folders inside and I'd like to delete what's not needed. And I do back up the catalog on an external hard drive.

So the question is -- should I save the first created catalog with earliest date and the latest catalog and delete the rest? I believe that's what Tech Support in India instructed but can't remember... thanks so much!

Basically, you only need the latest backup.  I usually keep the latest 3 backups on the outside chance that the very latest is corrupted for whatever reason.  I see no reason to keep earlier backups including the very first backup.  I have no idea why India told you to keep that first one.

• 11. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H
                              Teri Bloom Level 1

Thanks Joe -- I think India told me to save the first one because it was the Anchor of all the other catalogs in some way... very much appreciate your answer and hope you have a great day!  Teri

• 12. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H

Teri Bloom wrote:

Thanks Joe -- I think India told me to save the first one because it was the Anchor of all the other catalogs in some way... very much appreciate your answer and hope you have a great day! Teri

They are wrong. The first, oldest, backup is the one that was created when you first install LR and did the first ever backup. It only has the references to the images that were imported before the time of that backup. Surely you have done many other imports and edits to images since then. Keeping that first ever backup is foolish and of no real use to you if you need to restore from one of them. The most current, and maybe a couple prior, are the ones you should keep.

• 13. Re: Which old saved catalogs to delete to save HD space?H
                                  Teri Bloom Level 1

OK -- thanks, sounds good!  This is very helpful and happy to know I can now delete all these extra back-ups.  Really appreciate all your help with this one :-)