13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2018 8:56 AM by ScorchyLive

Exporting a video with a transparent background.

lees48530094

I've been asked if it is possible to export a video from After Effects with a transparent background as an MP4 so it can be used in a web application (HTML based). My knowledge of video editing is very basic and I have no coding knowledge but I don't think this can be done. Does anyone know if it is feasible or not?

• 1. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.
          Mohammad.Harb MVP & Adobe Community Professional

in the render settings ( composition -> add to render Queue )

you need to select on the on the Codecs the supports RGB + ALPHA

as Quick time with PNG Codec

2016-10-10_13-26-49.png

2016-10-10_13-27-10.png

2016-10-10_13-27-35.png

• 3. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.
            harinathr81431544

Sir , actually I was set in a video with solid background attached to video (download from YouTube), but I can't possible to remove background and make it transparent.

How is it possible for downloaded video to Remove background like transparent.

• 4. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

I am unsure what you want to do.

Do you want to remove the background from a video clip?

Do you want to make a video with a transparent background?

By the way, you can NOT make an mp4 file with a transparent background.  Mp4 files are not able to have transparency.  You must follow the instructions above.

• 5. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.
                harinathr81431544 Level 1

I want to remove background from video and make transparent background sir , how is it possible.

• 6. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Show us a still from the video.  Tell us the part you want to keep.

And if you do not know After Effects well, you will have a VERY long and difficult time doing this.

• 7. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.
                    A.I.1 Level 3

I've rendered a video with a transparent background with similar settings (PNG compressed, saved in .mov container, 8bpc+alpha, 1920x1080).

In Smplayer (on a PC) it shows the video correctly, and a chequerboard pattern shows in the transparent area. In video editors like Premiere Elements it shows the output correctly when you place another image behind it (transparency works).

But viewing the video in other players, such as Quicktime Player and VLC the video shows up incorrectly and looks a bit of a mess - the video shows but it's as though it doesn't take all layers/masks/something else into account properly. Even though it will work okay in Premiere, I'd like it to show correctly in QuickTime and other players (even if it doesn't show a chequerboard where the transparency is). It shows it incorrectly on someone else's QuickTime player too (which I think is a Mac).

Any ideas what is wrong? Is it anything to do with the video card being used? Does it normally show AE rendered PNG compressed .mov files with transparecy correclty in QuickTime player, VLC etc.?

I'm using AE CC2017, Windows 10, using Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 graphics.

Also, I rendered it with Adobe Media Encoder. Would it be better to render these types of videos directly through After Effects insteads (would it work correctly then)?

• 8. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.
                      Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

straight alpha tend to look messy in video players, although it's the proper way to export alpha and can save you trouble in some cases. If it bothers you, change the alpha export setting to premultiplied and not straight. In AE output module you can choose.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.
                        A.I.1 Level 3

Thanks. Though in Smplayer it looks fine (shows the video correctly, with a chequerboard pattern in the transparent area). It's just in other players (VLC, QuickTime Player). that it looks bad. It only bothers me because when I send a video with transparency to a client it looks bad in the preview on the web page and when they view it in players like QuickTime and it means I have to keep explaining to them to ignore what it shows in the previews/players (because it doesn't get shown correctly there).

I'd change the setting though if it sounds like changing it to "premultipled" isn't the optimal/most accurate way so I assume it could give worse results if someone used the video (with it's transparency) in a project? If so I assume it's best to keep the setting as it is and keep telling clients to ignore what it looks like previews/players like QuickTime Player. I wish there was a better way. Though videos from stock footage sites that have alpha channels don't look bad in the same way (ie. don't show sort of how it was composited like mine do with QuickTime player). Maybe they're premultiplied.

• 10. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.

They should not preview it in a player because it's not a playback version anyway. you could render a compressed version i.e mp4 on black background and this should be enough for preview purposes. Straight alpha is always the safe bet And yes, the ugly look on players is alarming (that's the reason Ae default is premult, even if it messes some cases) - just ignore it and tell them as well.

• 11. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.
                            A.I.1 Level 3

Thanks a lot. Also, in Media Encoder (which is what I'd been using) it doesn't seem to have the option of Pre-multiplied/Straight (when outputting QuickTime PNG), so I think I'd have to render directly though AE to change it. I was using whatever AME automatically outputs to when rending QuickTime PNG.

• 12. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.

Yep AME only renders straight alpha on all formats that produce alpha as far as I know.

• 13. Re: Exporting a video with a transparent background.
                                ScorchyLive

Hey do you guys think you may be able to help me my friend made me some animted twitch pops ups and the files are mov he told me there transparent but evertime i try making them into gifs they have a black backround and i was wondering if you guys might be able to help.