1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 10, 2016 9:43 AM by whsprague

Adobe Premiere Elements Editor 14 - Sort Timeline by Date

jessicap52744330

Hello - I was not able to find this answer by searching the forums so I am hoping someone can help. 

I am new to Adobe Premiere Elements Editor and am trying to sort my timeline by date.  I have imported all of my videos and they are in what seems to be a random order.  I would like them to sort by date created, so earliest/oldest to most recent so I do not have to rearrange them all by hand.  Is there a way to do this? 

I am using Adobe Premier Elements Editor 14 on a Mac. 

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements Editor 14 - Sort Timeline by Date
          whsprague Level 4

As far as I know, there is not a fully automatic way of sorting when on the timeline.   The sort order in the Project Assets box can be by file name or duration.   Generally, cameras will name the files sequentially as they are shot.  You can select as many or few of the clips in the Project Assets box and slide them in a group to the timeline and they will stay in the order.

There are two possibilities.  First, using your operating system file management system, you first sort by date and batch rename the files.  You might want to make working copies of your originals and put a couple zeros into the first part of the new name.  Then, when you import the newly named videos into the Project Assets they will be in your prefered order.

Second, depending on your camera, the file names may be close.  On mine, because of naming standards, blocks of ten clips will be in order.  I'll move the clips from 1 to 10 in a batch, followed by 11 to 20, 21 to 30, etc.

If you are mixing stills and video or multiple cameras, it may be much more difficult.  Programs like Lightroom have some complex renaming systems that might help.

With luck, someone else will post a more simple procedure!

Bill