Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embed interactive pdf into a html page in an iframe

Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was given an interactive pdf file, it has a slide with a small slideshow (3 slides) when looked at that particular slide. There is a play button and stop button at the bottom that appears/disappears if you move your mouse over it, and we can choose to play it or stop it. I don't know if its a video though. But, there is some interactivity in that slide. I tried to embed this pdf in an HTML file iframe. It works for the most part but the interactivity doesn't work in chrome: I have Version 53.0.2785.143 m of chrome.

However, not sure if by fluke or what, in IE 11 its working. Any ideas on how this can be made to work on chrome?  I am using a simple iframe

<iframe src="file://C:\Users\svboll\embed-pdf\Interactive.pdf" style="width:718px; height:700px;"

frameborder="0"></iframe>

Adding:

I am actually trying to embed this interactive pdf into a HTML widget of a jive community, ultimately i would like to embed it in a jive community  html widget. SO, any ideas on how to embed this and keep the interactivity of pdf on any browser or device would be appreciated

Adobe Forum Help & Resources​

TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome uses it's own built-in PDF viewer. Even simple cross document links don't work when the PDF is in an iFrame in Chrome. Unfortunately, you won't be able to create a consistent experience across browsers, PDF viewers, and devices.

J-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you suggest some ways to embed the pdf inside an html page and retain its interactivity. Is there some plugin that can be used and specified as a source url for one of the attributes in iframe?  or converting the pdf into html would be advisable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there is no way to embed a PDF inside an HTML page and have it behave consistently. You can't even have the PDF file be downloaded and run locally and expect that end users will have the same experience as the author. There are just too many PDF viewers available that don't implement the specification correctly or fully. Converting the PDF to HTML may give you a visual experience similar to the PDF but the interactivity won't survive the conversion.

Sorry for the bad news.

J-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can a pdf be converted to .swf file and then we include the link to this file in iframe, would that work? not sure of what .swf will contain or capable hence asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think conversion to SWF is viable. Perhaps it could be remade completely in Flash. But Flash is a dying technology, not available on phones or tablets (like interactive PDF). Neither PDF nor Flash is the way to go for cross platform interactivity. HTML5 is in its infancy, but seems to be the way forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your best bet would be to use Illustrator to open the PDF and convert it to SVG and then add the interactivity back.

J-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines