12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 2:19 PM by RoninEdits

Looking for feedback on the following build...

FEVER

I'm hoping for feedback and suggestions on the following build.  Primarily Premiere CC and AE CC.  Currently editing 1080p may have need for 4k down the road...

Any advise is appreciated. ie... spend more on... or less on...

Tentative build is as follows (Pricing is in $CAN) ...

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($566.50 @ shopRBC)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($124.44 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($299.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($249.99 @ Newegg Canada) (will add more RAM down the road)

Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($154.99 @ NCIX)

Storage: Seagate 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($269.99 @ NCIX)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card  ($379.99 @ NCIX)

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($134.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($154.98 @ NCIX)

Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($177.00 @ shopRBC)

Case Fan: Fractal Design GP12-WT 52.3 CFM  120mm Fan  ($13.00 @ DirectCanada)

Case Fan: Fractal Design GP12-WT 52.3 CFM  120mm Fan  ($13.00 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $2608.85

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 15:30 EDT-0400

Appreciate any and all advise/guidance.

• 1. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm sure that there will be other comments (especially about hard drives), but a full size case would allow for better cooling.

• 2. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

so you think he needs to find a case that can hold more than 10 case fans? how many does he need, 12? 15? 20?

• 3. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RoninEdits wrote:

so you think he needs to find a case that can hold more than 10 case fans? how many does he need, 12? 15? 20?

I saw Mid Tower Case and didn't look at the specs. 

• 4. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Get rid of the liquid cooler, save money and get good air cooler like Coolermaster or Noctura.

Forget the 6TB Hard disk drive and reuse some of your current hard drives and get yourself something like a M.2 PCIe x4 Samsung 950 Pro for your current Premiere Pro Project. and only use hard disk drives for archiving and backup.

• 5. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...
                  FEVER Level 1

Bill, thanks for the advice.

Are you familiar with the following...

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

any thoughts on it? If not, Do you have a specific model that you would recommend?

Is air preferable to liquid cooling (other than in price). 

The Samsung 950 M.2 is a bit more costly.  I'm Ok with that but would you mind educating me briefly on the advantages?

I really appreciate the feedback.

• 6. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...
                    RjL190365 Level 4

Here's the thing about current closed-loop liquid coolers: For the money that you would be paying for them, they do not perform all that much better than a good air cooler. What's more, their included fans are fairly loud even at their lowest selectable speeds.

And the reason why we can't recommend that particular hard drive is that no mechanically spinning hard drive is anywhere near fast enough (sequential-speed-wise, physically) to handle the demands of even uncompressed (or rather decompressed-on-the-fly) 1080p, let alone 4K. Simply put, that hard drive can only sustain about 225 MB/second tops, while even decompressed-on-the-fly 1080p material needs a disk throughput of well over 300 MB/second, sequentially, to even play back smoothly.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...

the noctua d15s is the go-to for x99 systems. if you are looking for cheaper/smaller the cryorig h5 is a good option. heatsinks like the cooler master 212 evo have smaller 120mm fans that are somewhat noisy and smaller heatsinks that do not cool as well as larger heatsinks. i would skip cooler master and stick with noctua and cryorig.

the samsung 960 evo should be out soon and should be an affordable alternative to the pro options. if you are on a budget a sata ssd will be half the price and depending on your projects and media might be plenty fast.

i would also drop the Crucial MX300 and look at the samsung 850 evo. the new SK hynix SL308 ssd is getting good reviews and might be a more budget friendly option.

depending on where you are adding the case fans, its possible 140mm fans would also work. 140mm fans will be slightly quieter and move more air.

• 8. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...
                        FEVER Level 1

Thanks I am sold on the Noctua D15s for cooling.

I will keep an eye out for the 960 EVO.  I like the idea dropping the Crucial MX300 and replacing with a 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO.  OR should I go with the M.2 Samsung 950? (For boot/project drive).

I will also require 4-6TB of storage space.  Generally I will spend 10 months of the year filming (my library gets quite large) followed by 2 months of editing.  I may need to copy necessary media files to a SSD as needed based on the project I am working on (for best performance).

Based on the above what drive configuration would you recommend?  I'm guessing I will need the following 3 drives...

(1) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - Boot and Project Files

(1) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - For "working media files"

(1) 7200 RPM 6TB drive for storage/backup (any suggestions on make/model?)

How does that look?  Suggestions PLEASE

BTW... Everyone's feedback has been GREAT!

• 9. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...

FEVER wrote:

Bill, thanks for the advice.

Are you familiar with the following...

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

any thoughts on it? If not, Do you have a specific model that you would recommend?

Is air preferable to liquid cooling (other than in price).

The Samsung 950 M.2 is a bit more costly. I'm Ok with that but would you mind educating me briefly on the advantages?

I really appreciate the feedback.

I personally do use the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO but put a second fan on it for push/pull action.

I do not recommend the PCIe x4 M.2 Samsung 950 for the OS/Applications as I consider it an overkill for that  purpose but it is great for the Premiere project files but with your project size/workflow I can see your problem.  It should be used for your current project files if you can fit them on one or more devices.  If that is a problem then you have to fall back to SATA III SSD's

Hard disk drives slow down significantly when you get over 50-60% full so you will just have to try your large hard drive unless you can afford multiple drives and RAID them to get the performance and reliability you need.  SSD drives do not have that slow down

That hard drive probably has an initial read transfer rate of about 200 MB/second, the SATA III SSD's typically have a read transfer rate of about 500 MB/second and of course the M.2 Samsung 950 read rate is better than 2500 MB/second.  This can really help having smooth scrubbing and playback of complex timelines.

• 10. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...
                            FEVER Level 1

What is the best RAID configuration if I was to RAID (2) 6 TB Drives?  This would be MUCH easier than transferring project files back and forth on an "as needed" basis.  What are the pros/cons of using a RAID config?

• 11. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...

Only two drives in RAID 0 gives you almost twice the speed but is less reliable because if either drive fails you loose everything.  To get good sequential speeds and reliability you need a good (expensive) RAID controller and either RAID 3 or 6 at a minimum and more drives.

If you want to see the article that my dear departed forum buddy Harm Millaard wrote on RAID see this article.  He actually implemented that extreme 24-disk array.  I do have a 3-year old RAID 3 Areca ARC-1883i configuration with 7 Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB disks that is a great performer but today a single M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 achieves almost as much speed at a fraction of the cost.

• 12. Re: Looking for feedback on the following build...

the more important the data (footage etc), the more important it is to buy quality drives and have a backup or two of the data on an external hdd or nas or another location etc. enterprise hdd's are somewhat more expensive but tend to have much less failure rates and data corruption. enterprise drives should be used if using a hardware raid controller. hgst has the reputation for best hdd's, but any enterprise seagate or WD should be good too and more affordable. some are for backup/archive and have lower rpm and lower prices. raid 1 is to mirror, and might seem like a good way to backup data but it is not. in mirror raid if one file becomes corrupt or accidentally deleted it can/will corrupt/delete both copies of the file.

if you are working with medium to lower bitrate HD footage, there is a chance a single hdd will work. getting into higher bitrate footage and/or multiple layers like multi-cam might cause problems depending on the drive speeds, footage, and number of layers. if you think the footage/media will be ok on a single hdd, i would stick with one hdd to avoid any extra raid costs or troubles. if you think you need more speed raid-0 motherboard or hardware raid will give more performance options. for hardware raid cards its also good to have increased air flow at/near the raid card to keep it cool. any raid would need a UPC to power the computer that can tell the computer to turn off if the battery low.

hdd setup would be:

sata ssd for os/apps/cache/projects

hdd (1 or more if raid) for media files