23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 11:42 AM by Wilzy

Can't find keyword list

Wilzy

Imported a photo to lightroom 5 and also to a permanent folder and now am unable to locate my keywords.

• 1. Re: Can't find keyword list
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You'll need to be a bit more descriptive. During import LR either copies images from the memory card to a destination of your choosing onto one of your hard drives along with adding them to the LR catalog file (A database file). Or Adds images to the catalog file that are already on one of your hard drives. Or moves images from one folder to another and adds them to the catalog. 100% of the time these locations are always permanent. So I'm not sure what you mean by a permanent folder.

And did you create Keywords in LR and have you assigned any Keywords to any images in the LR catalog?

• 2. Re: Can't find keyword list
            Wilzy Level 1

When I import photos I do designate keywords and also make a copy to my

hard drive. I then go to my keywords list on the right hand side of the

screen which has designations such as family, specific family members names

which I will then highlight the photo and put it under the family name.

I am unable to locate the long list of such keywords and that is the

problem.

I have one catalog into which all my images go.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Can't find keyword list
              Wilzy Level 1

When I enter my library and work from there all keyword lists are visible

and I can access selected photos from this list.

What happened to the list?

That is the problem.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Williard Shanken <wilshanken@gmail.com>

• 4. Re: Can't find keyword list

First you misunderstand how LR works. No images are ever IN LR. LR is a Database program the references, make a record of, your images from where they are stored on your hard drive. You could delete the LR catalog file, Delete (uninstall) LR the program and all your images would still be on your hard drive where YOU placed them (Whether during the importing into the LR catalog file or before you imported them by manually copying them to your hard drive).

Maybe you have hidden the Keyword section of the right hand panel. Right click on any of the headings and from the Pop Up menu select Keyword List.

• 5. Re: Can't find keyword list
                  Wilzy Level 1

Tried that and only got the keywords of the photos that I had uploaded at a

previous time

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 6. Re: Can't find keyword list
                    dj_paige Level 9

Wilzy wrote:

When I enter my library and work from there all keyword lists are visible

and I can access selected photos from this list.

What happened to the list?

That is the problem.

This really isn't clear.

Let's discuss this screen capture for a second:

2016-10-10 17_22_49-Lightroom 5-2 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library.png

So are you saying the Keyword List panel is not present but the other right side panels (Histogram, Quick Develop, Keywording) are present? Then use the menu command Window->Panels->Keyword List.

Or are you saying all of the right hand side panels (Histogram, Quick Develop, Keywording and Keyword List) are not present? In this case you press F8.

Or are you saying something else, in which case you need to show us a screen capture of what you do see.

• 7. Re: Can't find keyword list
                      Wilzy Level 1

permit me to further clarify, I hope. I uploaded some files from my hard

drive and the keywords, only for these files appeared but not the full

keyword list.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Williard Shanken <wilshanken@gmail.com>

• 8. Re: Can't find keyword list
                        dj_paige Level 9

Perhaps you have accidentally imported the photos to a different or new catalog?

If you go to File->Open Recent and select each catalog shown there, do you find the one with the desired keywords?

• 9. Re: Can't find keyword list

Wilzy wrote:

permit me to further clarify, I hope. I uploaded some files from my hard

drive and the keywords, only for these files appeared but not the full

keyword list.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Williard Shanken <wilshanken@gmail.com>

Ok do this.

In the left hand panel in the Catalog section select All Photographs. What is the image count and does it look right, IE does it say you have close to the proper number of images in that catalog that you think you should have?

Then open, expand, the Keyword List section of the right hand panel and see if all your keywords are listed.

Are you assigning keywords to your images in some other program other than LR?

Please post a screen shot of your LR window with the Keyword List expanded.

• 10. Re: Can't find keyword list
                            Wilzy Level 1

Tried to open a prior catalog, which I have not used for years, and it

returned to the present.

See screenshot.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 11. Re: Can't find keyword list
                              Wilzy Level 1

How do I access windows panels keyword list that you suggested above?

will

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 5:27 PM, Williard Shanken <wilshanken@gmail.com>

• 12. Re: Can't find keyword list
                                Wilzy Level 1

Sorry. Windows plainly evident at the top and keyword list was checked.

When I uploaded a few photos, as mentioned above, the keyword list for them

appeared.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 6:21 PM, Williard Shanken <wilshanken@gmail.com>

• 13. Re: Can't find keyword list
                                  Wilzy Level 1

Clarification-prior catalog labelled irc at 4 and this was ircat 5.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Williard Shanken <wilshanken@gmail.com>

• 14. Re: Can't find keyword list

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding anything you are saying.

Please post a Screen Shot of the Library module with the Keyword List section opened. Like this.

Keyword List.PNG

You have to actually login to the Adobe LR forum and go to this thread and post the screen shot from there. You can't do it in an email.

Keywords are stored in the Catalog file so if when you import images you don't see older keywords then you are starting a new catalog every time you import images.

• 15. Re: Can't find keyword list
                                      Wilzy Level 1

did you receive my screenshot?

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 16. Re: Can't find keyword list
                                        Wilzy Level 1

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 7.14.18 PM.png

• 17. Re: Can't find keyword list

You can't post screen shots from an email reply. You have to log in to the forum website and post the screen shot.

• 18. Re: Can't find keyword list

OK right click on one of the headings and select Solo mode. Then expand the keyword list area and post another screen shot showing the that list.

Also do you see the right facing triangles to the left of some of the entries in the keyword list? Click on them to Expand them.

• 20. Re: Can't find keyword list
                                              dj_paige Level 9

So you have a catalog with 13 photos and that's not the catalog you want.

You need to find the other catalog(s) that had the other keywords. You need to use your operating systems search feature to search all hard disks for files whose name ends with .LRCAT (might be lower case). Then, double-click on each one found to open it. Then you can see if it the photos of interest have been imported, and you can see if this catalog contains the keywords of interest.

• 21. Re: Can't find keyword list
                                                Wilzy Level 1

I sent the screenshot after following your directions.

I think I know the problem.

when I opened lightroom and saw no keywords, the think the catalog somehow

was emptied or not loaded.

The reason I have reached that conclusion, was when I imported some fotos

from my hard drive, as you can see on the screen shot, the imbedded

keywords do show up.

How do I get the catalog back?

Importing all my fotos from my hard drive, about 15000 or more.

going into time machine and recovering catalog from a week ago.

Your suggestions and time have been much appreciated and further

suggestions are welcome.

Will

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 8:29 PM, Just Shoot Me <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 22. Re: Can't find keyword list
                                                  dj_paige Level 9

Please see reply #20 in this thread.

• 23. Re: Can't find keyword list
                                                    Wilzy Level 1

reloaded a prior lrcat and catalog restored and Viola keywords are back.

Thank you for sticking to it.

Will