8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 6:53 PM by michaelb32843626

Lossy DNG

michaelb32843626

I  reduce file size by converting unused files to DNG (even DNG files) with the 'Use Lossy Compression'.

This no longer seems to be working properly as it will only convert the first file of all the selected files.

I know that there are different schools of thought as to whether it is worth converting to Lossy but given that I want to do it... any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Lossy DNG
          dj_paige Level 9

This no longer seems to be working properly as it will only convert the first file of all the selected files.

Explain exactly how you are doing this. Give lots and lots of details. Emphasis on "lots and lots". So we can reproduce this problem if possible.

Also please state clearly if this is actually a Lightroom question, and if it is, then we would need the EXACT version number of your Lightroom (and don't tell us "up-to-date" or "current version" or words like that).

• 2. Re: Lossy DNG
            michaelb32843626 Level 1

Thanks for your quick response, @dj_paige.

I am using Lightroom CC 2015.7 with Camera Raw 9.7 and this is indeed a Lightroom question.

When I import photos into Lightroom, I import them as DNG files.

Having flagged, organised into collections and processed a shoot, I then go back to the original import folder and show only files which are not flagged by using the Filter in the bottom right.  I then select (Ctrl-A) all those photos and go to Library/Convert Photo to DNG and select the following:

Tick: Only Convert Raw files

Tick: Delete originals after successful conversion

File Extension: dng

Compatibility:  Camera Raw 7.1 and Later

JPEG Preview:  Medium Size

Tick: Embed Fast Load Data

Tick: Use Lossy Compression

No Tick: Embed Original Raw File

When I press OK, there is a brief moment of activity but only the first photograph reduces in size.

This worked in the past but stopped working after the latest Lightroom upgrade.

• 3. Re: Lossy DNG
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If you are converting to DNG on import why are you then doing it a second time?

• 4. Re: Lossy DNG
                michaelb32843626 Level 1

@Just ShootMe:  Because when I import to DNG, I do so at full resolution.  This is to reduce the file sizes of the 'also-ran' photographs.

• 5. Re: Lossy DNG
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I can't reproduce your problem. I imported 9 images, Panasonic LX100 RW2, and used Copy as DNG. Then I selected all the images, Ctrl + A, then Library > Convert Photos to DNG. All of them where reconverted to DNG files with a -2 added to the file name and the original DNGs were deleted.

Are you sure you are selecting all the image?

• 6. Re: Lossy DNG
                    michaelb32843626 Level 1

Thanks for your efforts, Just Shoot Me.

What you are describing is what used to happen but no longer does. 

Yes, I am selecting all the images.  I have tried doing it with only a few shots - even just two - and when the process is happening is it just come up with a message at the top left saying "Converting photo to DNG" (note singular).

I have gone back to an older folder which has Canon Raw format (CR2) files but once again it will only convert one photo.

Very curious.

• 7. Re: Lossy DNG
                      cppasm Level 3

And you are in Grid view, right?

• 8. Re: Lossy DNG
                        michaelb32843626 Level 1

Boom!  Thanks so much, cppasm.  No, Iwas not in Grid View and not quite sure why I need to be but a solution is a solution and that will do me.

Thanks to all who tried to resolve this issue for me.  Much appreciated.